Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best cab type/rig for reggae & dub?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrOrange, Jul 22, 2004.

1. MrOrange

MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    Another newbie question, eh? You're g-d damn right!

My "logic" tells me to go for a 1x15 instead of a 4x10, and have an amp that can put out 200+ Watts. I recently have played through an SWR 1x10 and that doesn't seem to cut the mustard too good... The rig should be portable enough so I can't go for a multiple cab setup.

The style I play is dub-reggae-hihop, so low end is more in demand than clear aluminium-cone produced slap-highs.

So, share your views on wobbling in Jah-style!

2. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    As far as cabs go, I have yet to find anything that I like better for dub/reggae than my Eden 215xlt. Moves MASSIVE amounts of air.

3. That makes perfect sense and I agree with that. But if money is low, a good used peavey 1x15 combo amp might do the trick. Keep in mind it will be big and heavy, and be aware that most/some of those amps don't have any expandable features like a external speaker out to hook up another speaker and get more watts out of the amp.

Most bang for the buck in low end terms though, IMO.

4. I'd say go with his suggestion, those cabs rock and can do more than just dub/reggae.

5. MrOrange

MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    Well, I'm located in Europe and and have about 800 € (max) to spend, which equals a bit over $900 and isn't too much, I know...

I definitely am going to go for a head + a cab combination just for the portability aspect, as I will need to lug the amp at times to my humble home studio as well (I don't own a car, but got a pretty strong back :D ).

The amps I currently have been considering are a Marshall DBS 7200 (200W, 2000W peaks; 350€ used) and a Hartke 3500 (479€ new). There's also a Warwick Profet III (300W, 487€ new) that would just barely fit in my price range.

For the cabs I'd only have money left for a Hartke VX 1x15 (299€ new) or a VX 4x10 (350€ new)... the 2nd hand stuff ins't too readily available 'round here, too bad. (Most gear is pretty expensive, thanks to our 22% sales tax.)

6. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Hey fellow Eurobasser!

800 Euros to spend?

What about going pre + power amp? That's a great solution since power amps are available on the second hand market everywhere.

- Second hand Peavey CS-400
    - Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI (which I think is great for dub, d you have a home studio. Got this one already?)

That's half your budget. Now take a look at cabs.

If weight is not a problem I'd consider a Peavy 15" with a black widow speaker.
    http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw7_peavey_115bx_bw_4ohm_prodinfo.html

7. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    BTW; Where are you located in Europe?
    I have this big fat 2x15" for sale.

[​IMG]

It's very portable,... as long as you don't need to go up the stairs. :p
    Edit: It will go very cheap.

8. MrOrange

MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    I'm located in the jolly north, Finland, to be precise.

Is that a self-made cab?

9. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    North Finland, whoo!
    That's a long way to Holland. :)

The cart is self-made. The cab itself is from the Italian brand Montarbo. It's a part of a bass set they had, it's about 15 years old. It looks nice, because I painted the drivers with special latex paint to revive the looks and stiffness of the cones (sound). Some bumper black on the tolex, and there you go. :D
    The wicked thing about this cab is that's a 3 Ohm. Works perfectly one a single channel of a PA amp that can handle 2 Ohm loads. I like this 2x15" because is not power hungry. But it needs to go, since I can't get the sound what I'm looking for. I found out the hard way that a 2x15" isn't perfect for Metal. :rolleyes:
    BTW: 43 kilograms without the cart if I recall right.

10. MrOrange

MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    43 kilos?!?! Geez... a 2x15 would be fun but I think it would cost already an arm & a leg to ship that thing here.

And my band buddies would love me when I'd tell them that along with my 2x12 Rivera combo I also want to haul a 2x15 with me... our transport vehicles usually are a bit humble when it comes to space. Whatever, I've solved the git-amp issue by getting a rack V-amp to suit the needs of that project. But I digress...

Back to low-frequency things! Keep your thoughts a-coming, y'all!

11. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Yeah. But this is the stuff you're looking for really. :)
    1x15, 2x15 or 1x18... These kinda deals must be somewhere in Finland. Good luck!

Thought about going for a pre + power amp set up?

12. MrOrange

MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    Yeah. It just seems that all the preamps available here (Tech21, EBS, Trace...) cost way more than the aforementioned heads. So I'm not entirely sure about that. You mean like getting a PA power amp, right?

edit: I did some surfing, and buying a pre+power amp doesn't seem to be a very cost-effective alternative. I don't want to go with a crappy T.Amp or a Behringer anyway.

13. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    For a PA amp you have to look second hand. That's why I mentioned it. Bars, discotheques, fitness clubs, etc. They all use power amps. :hyper: For cheap new products Yamaha might be the way to go.

Yeah, the EBS stuff is expensive, and Trace is getting more rare day by day. These are more the kind of deals that might interest you:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7266&item=3737877852&rd=1
    You mentioned your home studio. Well, if you like to record bass, the SA BDDI is a great tool for that. I'm sure a lot of guys her can confirm that.

Sorry if I sound a bit pushy, I'm trying to help. :smug:

14. Finland :)

Long time ago I had a girlfriend from Vamala :D

15. MrOrange

MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    No sheite, dude!?!?! Vammala?!?!

My parents live there! LOL!
    What was her name?

The Tech21 BSDR-1 is 240 €. Hmmm... that'd leave about 200 € for the power amp. Gotta think.

I still like the idea of a head + a cab. I like to keep the amount of moving parts in minimum. :D

16. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout combo. Great sound 300 watts can run another cab if needed. Combo = 49 pounds. Head comes out with six screws and weighs only 13 pounds. A little expensive though about $1100 US.

17. MrOrange

MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    That Mesa seems very nice but is way beyond my price range: it goes for like 2000 € on these shores... ripoff if you ask me! :scowl:

I think the Marshall-Hartke combination seems the most reasonable at the moment: 200W RMS 2 kW peaks, 300W 1x15 + horn, costing 650 €. Should be enough for rehearsals & the small gigs we're currently doing.

But as my gear knowledge is pretty limited, please keep the suggestions coming. That's if you have any! ;)

18. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    What other styles do you play other then dub-reggae-hiphop? If you really only play the dub/reggae/hiphop do you need the horn? Do you slap and pop often? What is the mix of your band, what instraments, how many members, and what volumes?

I think you will need more then 200 watts to get you out there and be authorative. Like Joshua said, look for something closer to 400 watts.

Are you looking at 4 ohm or 8 ohm cabs? Do you think you'll upgrade and add another cab in the close future, or upgrade to a better amp before that?

There are lots of factors that you need to think about as well, the future, current needs and future needs.

Also remember, a single 15 has just a bit more surface area then a 210 cab.

I hope I posed some helpful questions, I've found out the hard way that it ends up costing you more in getting something to tide you over then to save and get what you really want.

I just think that you'll need more then 200 watts and a single 15 to give you what you are looking for at an adiquate volume.

Hope I helped,
    Peace
    -Ben

19. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Ohh one more question, what kind of bass are you playing? Does it have a low B?

20. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Sorry to post again, but I did a little reasearch, how about the VX215 that Hartke has, it only costs like $30 more US (Unsure what it is in your currency) but seems as if you'd be a bit more happy with that. A bit more cone area, with 500 watts handling. Like I said I hope I'm helping out.

Peace
    -Ben