Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 27, 2000.

1. What do you think is the best instrument cable?

My vote's for armoured cable!

[Edited by Davy0 on 10-27-2000 at 02:58 PM]

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Tara Labs is. They make cables that range to about $10,000!

3. I have a Spectra-flex cable that has lasted me for five years.It has been through alot of abuse and is still going strong.However my other band mates have bought the same brand and didn't have the same luck,go figure,baffles me.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I had a no name cable that I dumped this year not bad seeing I bought it in 85!

I am a recent convert to the George L thing. You pay for two jacks and specify lead length. The shop assemble it. If it goes wrong snip the bad section out and ram the jacks home.

Sound wise with a Strat Vox thing it definately adds clarity and snap. The bridge p'u is not as harsh. With my bass setup I did not notice much difference.

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I have 3 spectraflex cables. one 10ft. one 18ft and one 25ft. I've had them all for over 10 years and they still work fine. Since I've gotten the wireless I don't have much use for the 18 or the 25 but I still use the 10ft cable every week at church.

Chris A:rolleyes:

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I spent 50 bucks on a cord last year called Sir Tweed, nice cord it alway's wrappes up the same way like its trained and it sounds great, no noise, gold ends and its good looking, although this is the first time I have not used a good ol`e Whirlwind in 20 years.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think capacitance is the biggest enemy in a cable. One would have to be nuts to spend $300 to $1,000 for a cable. If the manufacturer has paid attention to minimizing capacitance, you shouldn't have to pay more than $25 to $50 for a perfectly good cable. Forget oxygen-free. Those who say they can hear the difference are fooling only themselves. However, those who pay $4.95 for a cable are nuttier yet.

::: putting on Tolex suit :::

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    :ignition:

9. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA

I too got a sir tweed. excellent cable IMHO, but I only use it when my wireless is acting up.

10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi
    Build yer own!
    6 metres of Oxygen free Van Damme cable,2 gold plated jacks and twenty minutes with a soldering iron!
    Best damn cable I ever used! (at about one third the price of ready built)