The best Carvin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by countrybass5, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Hey all you Carvin fans...my question is simple...which Carvin bass is the best? I was planning to buy a Carvin Pbass,but Before I do I'd like to hear about other Carvin basses. Please tell me what you have and why you think it's best.

REMBO likes this.
  2. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    The Brian bromberg bass
    Its like a jazz bass on steroids
    Super comfortable neck and ergonomically just right

3. My Vanquish multiscale is by far my favorite bass I've ever owned. The neck doesn't budge, great feel on the tung oil walnut/purple heart neck, light weight at 8.5 lbs, great balance, the beveling provides great comfort and ergonomics. It's the most comfortable bass I've ever played, and I love the way it looks and sounds.

But best is certainly subjective to the individual. I wanted an aggressive, modern look but without any pointy bits on the body or headstock. I also prefer to play funk, fusion and such and desire a crisp, glassy sound. I can switch to humbuckers for a bit of thickness, or single coils for something a bit snappier.

35452_zpscb2chdid.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Bunny Brunel's are my fav's.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Same here. I've owned 3 different Carvin 5's and the Bunny is my favorite. Mine sports a newer pickup / pre harness with sweepable mids. It was available and affordable!

Riis

diegom likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    jefff100, Charlzm, mikewalker and 2 others like this.
  7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have an older BB75 (9V). It has the humbucker in the bridge and jazz style in the neck position. The neck is to die for. 19mm spacing, async, and very thin front to back. I've played no other 5 string I've found as comfortable.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Mine is J/J with Sperzel tuners, 9v. The Wilkie bridge (yeeech!) was replaced with a Babicz.

Riis

9. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I am sure I will draw some fire for this and I understand, but I feel I must say it. I have two Kiesel basses-- a B25 and a Jazz-- They are OK. I don't regret buying them, but I would never buy another.

10. Over the years I have owned many, many Carvins. The only one I have left and am keeping is a simple 'Bromberg' 5 string fretless. Despite playing nothing but PJ5s except for the Bromberg, their P basses (and pretty much everything else they make now) do not appeal to me at all.

11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    klbtofcfwiuginqn19gl.jpg 86_v440-large.jpg
    One of these is the best.

12. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    My LB70 is still the one for me. Going on 15 years as my No. 1 bass, and I still prefer it in most situations to any other bass I've owned or tried (including my custom Zon). However, this is a jazz-style bass, so if you really want a p-bass sound it might not be what you're looking for.

JeffC23 likes this.
  13. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I have a very simple Carvin J type that I love. I don't know if it's the "best" but it serves me well.

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I’m looking hard at a Zeus.

jfh2112 and GlassToMouth like this.
  15. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Mine...(same one in my avatar)
    My AB4.jpg

16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I just think Carvin gives you the best "bang for your buck" in the "custom" builder world. I've played an LB76 for over 20 years. It's versatile and reliable. I think the Xccelerator series is very cool but I need something more traditional so my next new bass will be a PB5 in tobacco burst and a black pick guard. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Have played on a friends LB75 fretless a number of times and it’s great. Neck fees chunky compared to my Pedulla but the LB plays and sounds on point.

18. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Best is somewhat subjective, don't you think?

What about what best for your own situation.

19. DaveB in VA

DaveB in VA Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    I have three Carvin basses. Ranked in order:

1. PB5 with a humbucker at the bridge and an Icon style headstock (when they would still do that).
    2. Brian Bromberg B25 with radiused single coils.
    3. AC40.

If I ever get another, it will probably be a Roy Vogt RV69K.

20. Tough to say as it depends on your needs. I own two , one is a 90s era LB 75 modified with Barolini pickups, Hipshot Bridge(Wilkinson bridge was garbage) and Mike Pope Pre.....this bass kills ! What an amazing difference than stock , So many sounds than. Killer Sustain too and a very solid neck. The Bromberg 4-string bass I have also kills and that one is stock electronics. The Bromberg Pre is very useful and versatile. This is one of the most comfortable basses I have played. It is very Ergonomic and well designed. Both basses are a koa body and maple neck combos.

The newer Carvin/Kiesel electronics are overall a lot better than earlier basses, but you can get an amazing bargain by finding an older Carvin and just modifying it slightly.. The LB 75 I bought for around $600 and with a few hundred in Mods it plays and sounds better to me than a some basses I have played that are a LOT more expensive. I have not to tried the new Kiesels like multi-scale vanquish and other new Headless models yet though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021