The best cheap music related thing you have made

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Paul A, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Last weekend I went to a car "boot sale" I picked up 3 radio mic's & recievers BRAND NEW for £5 each!
    Not bad since the original price on the packing was £99.99!
    Not needing 3 of them, I pulled one of the mics apart and removed the transmitter assembly.
    I've put the transmitter in a small plastic box with an input jack and a belt clip - one instant "cordless" bass!
    It works great, no noticeable drop in sound (tone or volume) - range is about 30 metres.

Anything you've built ( or modified) that you have been really happy with?

(I'll post some pics when I get a chance)
  2. wow, nice bargain!

the only thing ive made is plectrums out of the top of a 'tub of butter.. :meh:

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i got a box of 5 1/4 car speakers and torn up leather seat covers (buddy worked at an auto body shop). all assorted too, some were the woof of component speakers, some 2 and 3 ways. i used them for my infamous, late, wall of sound. i guess i had like 20 speakers on a torn up leather covered board. i made a few boxes to go on the back of the speakers, added boards to the side to hide that (pretty shoddy work really) and stuck it above the bed in my room. i wired everything to probably 2 ohms or so, all ran into an old hand me down rack system with an amp. the sound was really good for them being car speakers. with all the midrange and highs out of some nice 3 ways that were there and the woofs it was a good full sound in a tiny room. never hurt the amp suprisingly enough. i spent the cost of 2 big sheets of plywood. i became famous in school (middle school even :rolleyes: ) for being the guy with lots of car speakers on the wall. i wish i still had that thing. it got lost in a move or something i dont really remember. i dont think i'd use it again but it was a great wall hanging.
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, I once took a blown woofer, and tore out the paper, hung 4 sections of thin chain on it and wired it as a lamp with a small red light and hung it over
    my dorm room door. I had to get rid of it as people kept banging on the door in the middle of the night looking for a good time...
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    back when i was in the high school drumline, we found this brake drum (from some old truck or something) next to the field....we threw it and it struck a rock and made the coolest sound. we used it as a "special effect" during our drum break (solo). junk, man! and it sounded SO awesome! who woulda thunk it....yeah, a bunch of drummers (dumbers), right?
  6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Here's the box .....
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    And the inside....
  8. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I made a body of a bass out of a sheet of pine costing £5.40!

I aslo made a one string bass using a pool cue, 1 pickup, a U-nail and fisheye hook (bridge) and a bike brake lever.

My friends killed it though, he put too much strain on it and it snapped, splintering his hand pretty good :'O(
  9. W00t Way_of_opiatism, Ur using the doll from that haunted ebay painting as ur avatar! Ur my hero!!!
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Didgeridoo out of PVC pipe. Super cheap and easy to make and tune and sounds great!

brad cook
  11. details?
    i'm joining my friend's pop-punk band (against his will :D ) and i'm gonna play didge. now i just need to GET one...or make it.
  12. umm.....i needed a cool noise for a song, so in one of my songs, i took 2 spoons and played the spoons, and in one song for fun, at the very end of the song, i took some pots and pans and beat on them with a big wooden spoon and i was awesome, a major pan solo. the drummer dident like that took much ^_^
  13. One of my mates at college has done that, he's got quite a gig going round the open mic nights in the city.

(He's also got a real didgeridoo, but it doesn't sound as good......)

As for me, I made the neck for a bass out of an old oak bed-leg, it's not bad considering how bad at woodwork i was when I made it.

14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Buy a length of 2" PVC pipe from Loew's or Home Depot or whatever... Also, while you're in the PVC dept buy an adaptor that takes the pipe diameter down a bit to fit your mouth (I think I had a 2 to 1 1/2" adaptor and then another little adaptor stuck into that to take it even smaller). You can buy tons of different sizes according to what's most comfortable to you. I like this much more than using beeswax to make a mouthpiece because the beeswax leaves a kind of sticky feeling around my mouth and can cause little pimples and stuff to pop up. You can cut the pipe to length...I use a hacksaw but you can use anything that will cut through it.

I have a friend who played just an open 2" end but my mouth is just not big enough to do that and circular breathing is harder with a bigger mouthpiece.

There are websites out there that show you what key it will be in depending on length based on a 2" diameter. Do a google search and you should be able to find a chart like that. You have to figure the mouthpiece into the length also. If you have questions or this isn't clear enough let me know. A lot of this is trial and error to get it just how you like it. The good news is it's ultra-cheap so experimenting won't break the bank.

Also you can sand out the outside of the pipe to get off the ugly writing or whatever. It will have a kind of ivory-ish matte finish that can also be painted.

brad cook
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I made a bass out of a big rubber band.
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    A mate of mine bought some cool looking speakers for his Hi-Fi pretty quite cheaply, knowing full well that they weren't working and intending to put some new speakers in them.

I noticed that the speakers themselves were completely torn away from the rubber surround, but other than that they were OK. I measused them (8 inches), then bought a 8 inch bicycle tube, cut it to shape and glued it to the speaker as a new surround. IT WORKED. God knows what I've done to the T/S parameters but they sound OK.
  17. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    once while in school I found an old tin can, so I poked a hole in the bottom, and someone just happened to have a bass string there ya go! instant tin can bass!
  18. Not much. Built my own 4x12 cab, but that wasn't cheap. The speakers were $250 each, and wood was another $50, and it took me several weeks of careful measurement and planning to build it.

Cheap stuff, well, I did get a very cool sound effect on a recording by placeing a floor fan between the amp and the mic. I also built a modifiable pedal board out of plywood, pegboard, and some bent threaded rod. Makes it possible to change the combinations of pedals and their placments, but still keeps all the cables out of sight and everthing locked down.

Rock on
  19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Not much of a maker, but I have made several footswitches for myself and others out of a block of 2x4, 1/4" jack and a latch switch.

Grand total of about $2 each.