1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The best day: the missus says I can indulge in ANY bass gear!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arca_tern, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Long story short my father passed away on the 3rd after a long hard battle with cancer.

We agreed because of all the hardship supporting him in hospice, time spent away from each other, etc, that we're each allowed to totally indulge in one hobby.

Right now I'm playing a MIM Geddy Lee into GK MB500 + Dr Bass 115 (500w@4ohms) and basically use it as a practice amp at home, have never gigged with it yet. As a practice amp the cab is annoying because it's large and ~55lbs. I think the cab sounds good, but the head could be better.

Bassically (ouch, right?) I want to get gear that will work for any scenario (even though there's not a direct NEED for it right now) while improving my sound.

Couple different options I was thinking:

1) lose my current rig, get an MBF800 + 2x CX210s - only use the 2nd cab on big gigs
    Not super expensive, but lightweight, practical, louder and better sound,

2) lose current rig, get a MBF800 (Subway 800+, etc) and get a Barefaced Big Baby II or Super Compact. Smaller, louder, better. Can these two pieces of kit do it all? Downside is cant play the Barefaced.

3) Lose just my cab, get a Bassman 800 or YBA300 + 2x 115s or 2x 410s. Use the MB500+1 cab for home/small gigs, use 2xcabs + big boy head for big gigs.
    Too much gear?

To answer the questions before they get asked:
    Venues : haven't played live in ages outside of a church context (which is ampless, IEMs) but the ABILITY to play from local bars with no PA support (50-300 people) to gigs at city park (1500+ people outside) would be great
    Style of music: currently rock, some country pop, some heavier stuff (Caspian, and would love to get into more funk and soul
    The Geddy is running the stock pickups (but may change down the road, and go to VBT vs VVT) and rotosounds 66s, standard tuning. but trying out regular slinkys (the E has never been perfect on the rotos) and next are dunlop super brights.

I'm a pretty conventional dude and like matching cabs to heads when I can, as lame as that sounds.

What would you all do here?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    #1 is probably the most practical and makes the most sense.

#2 with a Mesa Subway I like better, but despite the internet hype a single 12" Barefaced cab is not going to be anywhere near as loud as two GK 2x10's. You'll need two 1x12's. Another option if you want some really nice cabs is Audiokinesis. Get a pair of Hathor 1203's. They are incredible cabs and pretty much dead even with Barefaced as far as output goes. They are a little heavier (but still featherweights compared to most other cabs) but they are also built heavier. They also cost a good bit less than Barefaced.

So what makes me the expert? Well I'm far from an expert, but I have all the above mentioned cabs (with some slight variations) and I also have Mesa Subway cabs...and don't discount those. The Subway 115 has more output than any of the cabs above, and costs about the same as a Barefaced 1x12.

3. Thanks @mmbongo for the view.
    You don't think the "800w" capable big baby can keep up with the 2x cx210s? Can the 2x210s do a large outdoor venue with a hot head?
    What's your experience with the MBF800 and the Bassman 800? The Subway I like simply because of the 2ohm option, but realistically don't need it.

I was able to quickly play through a mesa 800+ and a subway 112 and then a subway 115 but at low volume at the music shop and not my bass. Didn't sound significantly better than the GK 112 next to them, but at low levels most things sound good.

4. Ya. My 6" practice combo sounds fantastic at low volume. Those Subway cabs spec very well but eyewatering pricing.

Whatever PA is supporting drums outdoors is going to be supporting bass also. Your proposed 410 stack ought to be fine in keeping up with unamplified drums with your existing amp.

Can you get on front of a bigger Barefaced for a play? How about a Fearful?

5. Fearfuls and Barefaced are scare in Canada. unless a TBer is nearby no chance.

6. YBA300 & 2 X 115s FTW ! That's just my 2c. Might not be the most practical, not, damn, it'd sound great!

WaldoNova and arca_tern like this.
  7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Have you tried the GK Fusion 550? I was at a local GK dealer last week and played my bass through that amp with the CX210. It was stunning. Tight, clear, warm with so much head room. Two of those cabs and that head would be my dream rig.

I also played the MB115-ll. That was also quite good and very easy to carry. Alone it could do most of gigs. In tandem with the matching powered extension cab I'd be set for bigger stages. I love GK so much!

arca_tern likes this.
  8. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    Option #3, then buy 2 GK NEO410's.

They sound really good, are manageable in weight and are available in BC. Try them out with your existing head first as I'd imagine running both at the same time would create a very loud and very pleasing experience for you.

arca_tern likes this.
  9. I've heard that the 2x12 GK Neo cabs sound great, and are light as... 2 of them would set you right!

arca_tern likes this.
  10. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Good on you for taking care of your dad and sorry for your loss. Tubes are the only answer :cool: How about the YBA300 and a Barefaced 4x10?

11. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I swapped an Aguilar GS212 cab against a Barefaced Super Compact after A/Bing them. I'd say their 112 cabs can keep up with top shelf 212 cabs and are just a tad behind 410s. Their sound is pretty uncoloured.
    A Subway 800+ and a Big BabyII should get you along with unamplified rock drums no problem, while you can easily dial in any sound you wish.
    The big plus is that this rig would be a one hand carry.

Dp1363 and arca_tern like this.
  12. The mb115-ii at 200watta isn’t enough. The fusion 550 haven’t played through yet. You liked the cx210?

13. That’s a thought. Although there’s great debate in the GK threads if the neo 410 is better then the cx410 which is lots less money and same weight. I would definitely try playing through one

14. Totally forgot about those. Have heard they’re great. Less money and weight then the 410 neo’s too. Is there a point having 2x at 800w each if the head can only put out 800 total?

15. Ooh that’s a tempting idea. Not an ideal single cab for coffee shops but neither are any of the other 410s here. :p

16. So it sounds like 1x barefaced would be fine for most gigs but re outdoor, which in reality would have big PA backup anyways. Or maybe do 2x super compacts/big babies. Now we’re dreaming!

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    Get a Subway 800+

Get a Subway 210 and 115

Or

A BoomBassCab Matrix which is a 210 and 115 in a single box. Downfiring 15 and it reduces overall size.

I own all of the above, so I’m not just pulling things out of the air.

arca_tern likes this.
  18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    When you make your purchases, whatever they may be, make sure there is something precious for her among them. We sometimes don’t think about what our spouses go through whilst we are out performing. It’s a good thing to let that person know how much you care for and appreciate them. :D

revroy, Mktrat, Jim C and 2 others like this.
  19. Yeah the subways look super good, but for the price of each 210 why not just get two Barefaced's?
    I am going to go spend a couple hours at a big music shop (I'm out of town right now where there's more options) and will see what I can hear. that's the biggest part for sure.

20. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I went for the Super Compact / Super Midget stack. I don't have much use for horns.
    I'm itching to try out how much volume I can get from that set but the one band where I can actually use it is not rehearsing at present. In my house, I can easily cross the threshold of how much bass the room can take with a 50W amplifier. I played a few gigs on one cab, which was more than enough on every occasion, but the gigs I played don't have much volume on stage. Both guitars run 112 cabs with 15 and 18 Watts heads.

arca_tern likes this.