1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The best day: the missus says I can indulge in ANY bass gear!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arca_tern, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Don’t worry, we agreed that if I get to indulge a couple thousand, she gets too as well

2. Nice. What kind of venues did you have that the cab crushed?

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Think of a converted barn, ceiling height about 15-20 feet, raised stage and room for around 300 people.
    We've got a few of these close by that host live musicians regularly.

A few smallish outdoor gigs with a wall behind the band and around 200 people in the audience.

Gig season has just started over here. I'm booked for the next weekends, mostly sub jobs for acoustic stuff, so no need for raw power. It seems that once you proceed in years and can finally afford that easy to carry equipment, your gigs have less need in volume.
    Seems like I don't play those gigs anymore where the PA is pieced together from what the bands drag out of their rehearsal spaces and only the kickdrum and the vocals run through it, so your amp has to carry the moshpit.

arca_tern likes this.
  4. That sounds good, and like a bunch of my potential gigs would be. Bars or clubs of up to 200 people.

5. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I played the 550 through both a CX210 and then a 2x12 NEO. The CX sounded rounder and tighter. Two of those cabs would be a monster and easy on the back. The Fusion 550 is a beast. Three rack spaces and more weight than the MB amps. It is however less weight than the RB series amps.

arca_tern likes this.
  6. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    You would be on cloud 9 with a Mesa Subway D-800+ with a Mesa Subway 115 paired together with any one of the three Mesa Subway cabs (115/112, 115/210, or 115/115).

arca_tern and RichSnyder like this.
  7. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston I'm the one on the right Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    In my experience the things that I have purchased that have given me the most pleasure are the things I use the most. For example, splurge on a mattress or office chair rather than a fancy picnic basket or a Ferrari convertible with 67 original miles. I have an SVT that I can't fully enjoy because it won't fit in my car and it's too loud for our rehearsal space. But I have nice basses I play every day.

revroy and arca_tern like this.
  8. RasGK

RasGK

Mar 28, 2011
    Mexico city
    I would go for a pair of Barefaced Big Baby II’s. One would be quite good for rehearsals and small to medium gigs (probably even some really loud ones too, with an 800 watt @ 8 ohms head, depending on how loud your band plays and if there’s P.A. support) and both of them would cover pretty much anything you could ever need.
    They’re the loudest cabs relative to their weight you could get, and have excellent sound and build quality, as well as excellent customer service.
    Another very good option would be a Super Midget and a Big Baby II, so you have a little more versatility by carrying a smaller cab to the coffee shop gigs/rehearsals. Just my $.02

arca_tern and chaak like this.
  9. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    2) lose current rig, get a MBF800 (Subway 800+, etc) and get a Barefaced Big Baby II or Super Compact. Smaller, louder, better. Can these two pieces of kit do it all? Downside is cant play the Barefaced.

I bought a Big Baby II without ever trying one (i couldnt) and it's one of those you'll never regret it situation

arca_tern likes this.
  10. veebass

veebass

Mar 27, 2014
    Australia

What I did to cover the same objectives when I retired from valve heads and giant cabinets. I do the sort of gigs you are talking about.

Initially, I bought a GK Fusion 550 (rack mounted with Petersen Stroborack) with a 4 ohm GK Neo 410

Then later added a GK MB Fusion 500 and 2 X 8 Ohm GK Neo 212.

Either rig can handle what you are talking about with spare capacity. I just pick which combination suits the load in/ load out. The GK Neo 410 and the 212s sound different and I go through periods of preferring one over the other. The Fusion 550 is a bit more "spirited" than the MBF 500- but the MBF has plenty of guts and volume.
    They have served me very well for the last 5 or 6 years.

My practice amp is a little Fender Frontman 15B that I have had for years and years.

11. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I think there are a few guys in Seattle who have them but I can't remember their handles on here. @Passinwind was standing near one at the last PNW Get Together, do you remember whose that was?

arca_tern likes this.
  12. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    ANY bass gear? I think you should take full advantage of this!
    I vote for a whole new rig. Bass, cab(s), and amp. Find some stuff you like, preferably used. Buy it. Then decide out of ALL your gear what you want to keep.
    Some really nice 10's or 12's would be what I'd spend a good amount on, at least try them. And the geddy may be really cool but there are tons of other nice basses.
    Splurge!
    Don't forget the pedals!

arca_tern likes this.
  13. asands

asands Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Troy Missouri
    Avatar has some really nice lightweight options that will save a good chunk of change over the Barefaced. May not be quite as “good” (subjective) but would easily handle clubs and any outdoor show is gonna require FOH anyway. Just picked up a Subway head myself and it’s pretty sweet so far, though I’ve not gigged it yet. Happy hunting!

arca_tern likes this.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    @cableguy had a 151566 at the 2017 GTG in Tukwila, and I think 4mal may have had a 12/6 there as well. The 2018 date is Sept. 9th BTW.

Obese Chess and cableguy like this.
  15. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Genzler 800 and a pair of their bass array 12's.

MAXSPINRUN, Omega Monkey and revroy like this.
  16. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I'm planning on being at the 2018. Maybe I can really represent and bring my 15/sub, 12/6 & 66.....

Obese Chess and Passinwind like this.
  17. played the 115 neo and the 112 neo today with a fusion 550 and an mbf500, liked the 115 more than the 112.
    L&M in canada doesn't stock the cx series in ANY store but have them in stock to be ordered. weird. if I went cx, the 210 is the way I'd go simpy for power handling + more speaker area

18. I didn't like the 115 or 112 way more than the GK neo's which were ~$400CAD cheaper each.

19. totally. played the yba300 through the traynor 810 today and sounded great, but also was on stupidly low volume and I would rarely need that volume, so for the size it takes up, meh. put me firm in the "light head+2x paired cabs" camp

20. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Sorry for your loss.

DrewinHouston and arca_tern like this.