1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The best day: the missus says I can indulge in ANY bass gear!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arca_tern, Jun 12, 2018.

1. yeah right? could upgrade to the MIA Geddy, or go Sandberg or Sadowsky or something cool.
    Also the crazy amp rig would be a Vanderkley Spartan + 2x of their cabs for crazy great sound and volume.
    the pedals I was going to get to after the amp and cabs. :)

deepestend likes this.
  2. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    My only advice is to try Prosteels :D

3. who makes those and which version?

4. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests. Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Sorry for your loss.

When my folks both passed away, I bought a good 5 string, 2x12 cab, and amp head with the money they left me and told myself it was from them. I'd like to think they'd approve. Mom always did love music.

robthebassplaye and arca_tern like this.
  5. Thanks for the condolences.

After playing the mbf500 vs the mb500, there's only "tube saturation" when the gain is cranked and it's not my favourite at that. strike one! and width, height is the same, but almost twice as long/deep. not able to fit in a gig bag pocket! strike two! did i mention $$ more? strike three!

And going all tube is fun but not super practice, and would look funny on top of a vertical 2x rig (wider than the cabs) and silly at the coffee shops etc.

Head options are coming down to: GK MB800 (same as what I have, but added power) or subway 800+. MAYBE the Berg B|Amp.

Cabs looking like 2x GK cx210s, 2x 115NEOs, or 1x Barefaced Big Baby II (to start, with the option of another. or maybe the retro 2x10s?)

6. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'm tremendously sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you're doing alright. I know you don't know me but if you need anyone to talk to, I'm good at that sort of thing.

It's not all about power handling. It's about moving air. Even just 200W going into four 10" speakers is likely going to sound louder than 800W going into a single 12 in many cases. In a tight, confined space, a 12 might be plenty, but perceived volume is about air movement, not wattage, and a single 12 is just not going to fill most rooms. I did combine the two for years though, playing through a 1x12 and a 2x10. Sounded great and worked well in all situations.

Z2rvjUe.

As for the amp recommendation, I have a relationship with Mesa, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but WOW are the Subway D800 and D800+ outstanding. I've owned a LOT of amps over the years, and I very sincerely mean it when I say when I first got my D800, it's the first amp I've ever had that dropped my jaw.

Good luck!

Omega Monkey and arca_tern like this.
  7. Thanks for the knowledge.
    In my mind the barefaced 112 is the best single can I could buy but ultimately is just that, a single cab.
    I may start with just that (a lighter, louder, smaller can than what I have) and add another down the road.

8. arca_tern likes this.
  9. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'm a fan of the vertical 10s as well.
    sNOfhD6.

Omega Monkey and arca_tern like this.
  10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Sadowsky SA200.

11. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    That amp looks very nice! I'm a fan of simple control styles like that and 800w x2 @ 4 ohms or 1600w @ 2 ohms, that's POWER!
    Lots of other great stuff out there though. I'd recommend Bergantino or maybe Mesa. Great products that you can probably find for half the price of the Vanderkley. And they're probably a little closer to you / more mass produced in case you ever need repairs.

arca_tern likes this.
  12. Man, now I have another two heads to yhink about: Microtubes 900 (
    the berg b|amp looks great too

13. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Just noticed the Vanderkley doesn't have a gain knob. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing but it is interesting. It does have a -12db switch for active basses. It also doesn't have an effects loop, not sure that matters either.

The darkglass is another amp I'd look into, I was interested in that one. Seems like its main feature is the distortion or whatnot.

I've been playing a Genz-benz shuttle 9.0 for years and still love it. They can be found real cheap (sometimes in the $300-400 range) if you want to try it out. And I like how it has a headphone out. Plenty of power @ 4 ohms.
    The genzler stuff is probably all great as well and I'm guessing they'll stay as genzler for a while.

And personally I'd probably go for the forte over the b amp. Same exact thing without the digital eq stuff I believe.

14. Ironically the only reason I’m excited about the berg IS the digital EQ.

15. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'll be there! :)

Passinwind likes this.
  16. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Sorry for your loss.
    She said you can buy whatever you want?
    Either it's a trick you shouldn't fall for (my former wife)
    or
    The greatest woman in the world (my wife).
    Any of the rigs you suggest will be fine.
    You've got to listen to know.
    FWIW, I like the MBF800 for small, RB series or Ashdown for medium, and an SVT for large, but there are so many good choices these days that it all comes donw to personal preference. IMO/IME

17. Most of the answers are “You should get what I have...” so I’m going to do sort of that. Obviously people have what they have because they like them so I’ll tell you why and what I use mine for as well.

My primary rig is a Genzler Magellan 800 head and a single BA12-3 cab.

The head: It has amazing heft and authority, does 2.67 ohms if needed, has a second channel that can get dirty and sounds good at it, has a very versatile EQ section and a great DI.

The cab: The single 12 is crossed over lower (800 hz) than most designs out there which allows it to do what it does best - act as a woofer. The array of 4 3 inch paper cone drivers does everything above that. It offers very smooth transitions, the highs are present but not spikey (works great with distorted tones) and the mids are very vocal. The coolest part is the way the array impacts dispersion. Your sound will be much more consistent as you move around the stage or the room. All of that allows the cab to sit in the mix without having to be quite as loud. It really does work and it sounds great. Get the slant version... or a slant AND a straight.

I play in a low to moderate volume church band, as a side player with a couple of singer/songwriters, and until recently was in two different moderate volume guitar based pop bands. The largest venue I’ve played without PA support has been a club with about 150 people. None of the drummers I play with are gorillas. Larger venues and outdoor gigs have always had PA support. A single BA12-3 has always been enough for me and has never struggled. With a heavier drummer or a louder band, a 2nd might be required but if two wasn’t enough, I don’t want to play the gig.

FWIW, I also have the smaller Genzler rig - a 350 head and the 110-2 cab. It would cover my church band and almost all of the singer/songwriter side player gigs. One of the guys in the Genzler thread regularly plays a large church (1500? Seats) with the 350 head and two 110-2 cabs.

There are other great choices. In heads, I’d look at the Mesa and the Bergantino Forte and maybe the Trickfish .5. In cabs, I’d also look at the Audiokinesis Hathor series and maybe the Barefaced. For a more conventional design cab, I’d look at the Mesas.

18. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    If I had a basically slate and a stout budget,I would probably go with something like a Genz ShuttleMax (they have 600, 900, and 2x600w versions between the .0 and .2 series), and 1 or 2 Genzler 2x12s. I think those are 4 ohms, so if you wanted 2 (eventually), I think you would need the 1200w version of the amp (which will do 2x4 ohms). Good balance of "clean" and vintage/dirty tones, good amount of low end, good amount of volume, so pretty versatile all around.

The CXs are supposed to be decent cabs but goddamn they are SOOOOO ugly. The cheesy fake gold logos, psuedo hifi grill cloth (instead of something actually functional for gigging. So I would go with a pair of their neo 2x12s instead if I was going GK. For what it's worth, I do have a GK 4x12,but I JUST got it, and haven't really had a chance to put it through it's paces. But when I bought it, I did like it from what I could tell. And they are very well regarded (all the Nx12 cabs they have really).

How do you like that XB stack? I have the 4x10 version which is awesome, but a vertical stack seems like it would be pretty great, although I looked up the weight on those cabs and at 70 pounds a piece, they're a little more than I'm looking for for 2x10s.

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  19. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    I got those 210T-XB cabs in 1999 and 2000 and have used them in a bunch of combinations with other GB cabs (I installed casters on one of the 210s to make it a little easier loading them in and out). I've had at least 10 GB cabs over the years (currently I have the pair of 210T-XB cabs, a 410T-XB, and a GB115B). I love them. They're not light, but they're rugged and sound great to my ear. Highly recommend them.

There's a whole bunch of combinations of my cabs in the photos here, just to give you some ideas how they look various ways. I know it shouldn't matter how it looks, but I've always thought the GB cabs look killer.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  20. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    I'd do option 3 except with an Ampeg SVT something or other for the big boy.