The Best Deal You Ever Got

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Dec 20, 2000.

1. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    How about some good stories about the one(s)that didn't get away? Here's one of mine: I was in a pawn shop in Baltimore in 1972 with the bass player of my then band(that's another story),and the guy's got a few guitars and basses on the wall,so we're looking and lo and behold,a matching Coral Blue Fender Jazz Bass and Jazzmaster guitar,both mint with the factory tags on!So,we do our best to appear nonchalant and start looking at cameras etc. and as we're walking towards the door,we ask him about them and he pulls the bass down and we see that it is w/o a doubt a pre CBS era instrument in pristine condition,so after a few more words of disinterested patter we ask what he wants for it and he says it's been sitting there for a long time etc and he'll take $200 for it! So we got it and it was(and probably still is) amazing.I was reminded of that bass today "cause one just like it,same color and era,showed up in a local shop and is rumored to have been in some famous hands over the years.I haven't asked yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they want ten times the price of the one in my story,and they'll probably get it.
  2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Well, I don't have anything quite that impressive but I did pickup an SWR Baby Blue II Combo on Ebay from a music store in PA. The guy who ordered it left a deposit and never came back. I paid $650, and it was brand new, still in the box, warranty and all. The cheapest I've seen a new one is $950, so I think that was a pretty good deal!
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Here's the best deal I ever got.

A few years back, around the time Fender Acoustic-Electric Precisions were discontinued, my local guitar center marked the basses down to $599 from around $700. I wasn't sure if I wanted it, so I put it on consignment and had a month's time to make up my mind. A month rolled by and I decided that I didn't want the bass, so I took it off consignment, got my deposit back and back to the store floor the bass went. Two months later, I was invited to one of those special sales GS sometimes has before teir "official" hours begin. I went and there was the same bass, going for $279! I picked it up, walked up to the salesperson and said "Write me up". I kept the bass for a year or two and decided it didn't really have the sound I wanted, which is why I didn't buy it the first time. One day, I went to a smaller guitar store and saw a fretless white Steinberger L2 going for $599. I took my A/E Precision and got $400. The Steinberger is no longer my main fretless, but I have put piccolo bass strings on it so I can work on Manring - style stuff.

Will C.:cool:
  4. Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    my warwick 4-string corvette standard for 600 off e-bay, the thing was brand new too! It was from a guitar store in wisconsin, they even threw in a gig bag that i didn't know about!
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pretty tough to pick one but my 78 Tobias #196 for $500 is right up there. The $125 1968 Jazz bass, including Silvertone 2-12 tube guitar amp seemed like a good deal at the time;)

I'd guess the best deal would be my wife. She doesn't hassle me about the other deals and I realize what a blessing that is:D
  6. Hand's down this is the best I've ever seen anywhere, it's a guitar.

Back in 1978 I bought a 1958 Gibson Flying "V" from a woman who said it belonged to her son that was killed in the Vietnam War. He was the original owner. She had it in his bedroom that hadn't been touched since his death. At the time I was a 17 year old hard rocker (Michael Schenker fanatic) that thought I was paying too much for it, so I tried to talk her down, but she wouldn't budge. She said it was worth more in sentimental value (bless her heart).
    I finally paid her $1,200 for it - played on it with many bands until around 1985, when it was stolen from my house. It was retrieved (a whole story in itself) about 1 year later.
    In 1994, I saw that the value of a 1958 Gibson "V" (in original shape, with hardly any wear and tear) was in the area of around $75,000. Yes, that wasn't a misprint. I decided to sell (duh). I got $50,000 cash for it, and never looked back.
    Talk about an ignorant investment. To this day, I continue to look for deals that I may think will turn out like that, and have come across a couple of things that have made me money.
  7. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Wow,good stories.Herm's Flying V episode brings up another question.I've wondered sometimes whether even if I had the means to pay some of the prices I've seen certain instruments go for,would I? I mean,I've owned a few in the past and kept 'em if they felt good to me and traded/sold 'em if they didn't(in the same 2-3 month period that we found the Jazz Bass,I sold among others,a '54 Les Paul Gold top w/P-90's and Trapeze tailpiece for $500.)I mean at the end of the day,it's still a few pieces of wood and metal,and I feel the vintage thing is a little overblown.I HAVE played on some old instruments that were truly wonderful,but I think that even if I were in a position where the asking price wasn't a problem,I'd pass 'cause there are a lot of instruments around with many good qualities and even some improvements on the older designs that are so less expensive.How about you?
  8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Vintage definitely doesn't do it for me.
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Back in around 1989 a bass player freind of mine told me about someone who was getting a divorce. The wife was going to get everything the guy owned including 9 basses that he had collected over the years. I guess it was a real messy thing and the guy had a liquidation sale and said he would rather give the basses away than let her have them. We got there and there was maybe 5 left my buddy instantly grabbed a late 60's P bass for 275 bucks and the only other decent bass left was a 1973 Fender Tele bass hang tags, bridge cover and OHSC. I scoffed it for 150 bucks and traded it last year for my mint condition 74 Jazz bass that had a price tag of 1100 bucks.
  10. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Back in 1977, I paid $150 for a 1964 Precision Bass. The body was beat (the finish could be scraped off with my fingernails), but the neck was PERFECT, and the sound was great. It was a long time ago, but the price was at least 1/3 of what a bass like that was going for.
  11. In 1977 I was looking to replace the rather poor bass rig I had been playing. A new music store opened in Pensacola and I became friends with the manager. This store was a Sunn dealer and I wanted THAT equipment. For the gala grand opening I registered in a drawing for Sunn discounts. 3 weeks later when I was closing the deal on a Sunn Concert head and 215B cabinet, my friend informs me that I'd won 3rd prize in the drawing and that amounted to $250 off of any Sunn equipment. By the time I recieved my 20% pro discount and the $250 reduction from the drawing, I had my new rig for $375! Normally it would have run in the $900 range. Wait, it gets better. A couple of months down the road, the Tolex on the cabinet blistered on the top and I returned it for repair. They didn't repair it - they sent a new cabinet - and this was the larger 2 x 15 RH cab with a 6' folded horn design Woohoo! My friend said it was their mistake and that I should keep it. I did and toted that refrigerator around for several years after.
  12. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'd have to say my brand new DeArmond Starfire for $299 from MF earlier this year. That's 70% off list on a new bass.
  13. I got a 70's Gibson G-3 a few years ago for $100. I joined a band and there was this case sitting in their practice room. One day, I asked them what was in there and they told me "a bass, some friend of ours was playing with us for a while and just left it here." I opened it, and of course the bass just looked cool as hell. Plugged it in, and it sounded amazing! I found out the guy worked in the same building I did, so I called him up and asked him about it, and he said he'd sell it to me.. name my price. I said $100, he said OK. I later sold it for $375 to a friend of mine's wife so she could give it to him for Christmas. I wish I still had that bass.
  14. The best deal I've received is actually related to an amp. My bass amp was $80 at a local pawn shop. Granted that it's huge one (15" cabinet) and it's somewhat ancient (1979... and yes I can hear the tune playing right now) but plays purrdy now. And like I've probably said before... it's the closest thing to getting my Rachel [Ibanez actually] sounding like a Fender.

[The other good deal was in a keyboard. Yamaha CS2X. $549 at Musician's Friend. Refurbished and according to the order slip, it has "minor comestic flaws." Personally I have yet to see them! :)]

Take care and Happy New Year/Century/Millennium

Derek J. Power

I will see you in the next life... [Radiohead, "Motion Picture Soundtrack"]
  15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    my best deal was:
    a hartke 7000 for 150$
    and maybe my amp preamp for 75$
  16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    when I'm grown up, i want to be Brad Jonhson!
  17. I once got a free cookie from my mum.... does that count?

and once paid _only_ 17000 for a 1x12 amp....

when I grow up I wanna be a hamster... :)
  18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    That would be a lot if it was in dollars...
  19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's all lies in a sad cry for attention:D

BTW I still haven't figured out what I want to do when I grow up;)