Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "Best" Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Platypus_Of_420, Feb 13, 2006.

1. this is completely personal taste, but i wanna put some flats on my bass soon and i've never used flats before and im missin out, so what are the "best" flatwounds in your opinion?

2. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have been using LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass flats on my Lakland Bob Glaub. They are great strings if you are going for a thumpy old-school vibe. The strings (and I'm sure my bass) really have a nice way of wrapping around a live mix. I like them better than other flats I've tried, but I have yet to try the Thomastik jazz flats. I would love to try those strings, but I can't see myself taking the LaBella's off any time soon. They are exactly what I'm looking for.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, do you want a flatwound sound, or do you want a sweet, unique some FROM flatwounds? I love the sound of TI Jazz Flats, but they're not really a flatwound sound, per se. For an actual flatwound sound, I really liked the Fender mediums.

4. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    LaBella; 'nuff said!

~Paul :)

5. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    +1

6. i'm not really asking for a recommendation of flatwounds, i'm just wondering what flatwounds you prefer

7. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I use the deep talkin jamersons, but those are huge (the e is a 110) but they sound great. Labella deep talkin or the fender I thing 9050 maybe are the way to go.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I worship TI jazz flats.

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I just switched back to Fender 9050ML's. Couldn't agree with the above statement more :hyper:

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you search on flatwounds, you're gonna find a whole lot dialog here.

Personally, my favorite to date is - GHS flats. I recently tried some Rotosound Jazz flats, and they died very quickly. I'm very disappointed - and somewhat pissed. :)

11. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I've tried Chromes, Deep Talkin' Flats, and Fender 9050s.
    I really liked the Labellas, but I also relaly like the fenders. The Labellas are a bit more subdued and thumpier, but I prefer the tone of the Fenders actually among the three. The Labellas feel the best, but you can get two sets of the Fenders for the price of the Labellas.

Though really, you shouldn't be replacing flatwounds too often ;)

I still need to try the TI jazz flats, but I'm a big fan of very smooth and high tension strings...which the TI's don't seem to be from what I've read.

12. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Roto Jazz Flats. I like the tension and the tone. For me they last 4-5 months, played with fingers and thumb.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I may be just a dumb engineer, but how can one say which flatwounds they prefer without making a recommendation?:confused:

I briefly installed a set of TI Jazz Flats on my (recently departed) 32 in. scale Stu Hamm Urge bass and they really calmed down the tone. I wonder how a 5 string set would sound on my Ash body, Pau Ferro fingerboard, EMG equipped 35 in scale Hoyt/Warmoth? From what Aaron Saunders wrote, I think I'd probably like them...

14. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave

Aug 5, 2004
    I too have TI Jazz flats on my 32" Stu Hamm Urge and also on my 32" Alembic Spoiler. I like'm a lot, but for a 34" scale you might want to try Ken Smith Slick Rounds. They also have that irresistable smooth feel, but what is really special about them is the sweetness in the upper register. If Mr. Smith would make Slick Rounds for a 32" medium scale bass, I wouldn't consider anything else!

15. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I've got TI Flats on three of my basses. I don't like the high tension of "Traditional" flats, I love the feel of the TI's. The sound has smooth highs, a strong low-mid and the lows are not too boomy, they have a quicker decay then rounds, but not the thump of regular flats.
    Bill

55-01 TI Flats
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2933144&q=hi
    BTB Fretless TI Flats
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2483861&q=hi
    Peavey Millennium Five Plus TI Flats
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3452711&q=hi

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've got TI flats on my SR5 and they sound awesome. I had the black tapewound LaBellas (are those the Deep Talkin'?) on my ABG when I had it and liked them a lot as well.

I would like to give a +1 on "use the search engine". There's a lot more info out there than you're going to get out of a single thread.

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Chromes and then TI Jazzflats. I really don't like any other flats then these.
    I've Been using Chromes from the beginning and always come back to them. I've had TI on one of my basses for a few years now and they really are nice if a bit bouncy and give a wide range of sounds depending on playing style and EQ, all the way from roundwoundy to rubberbandy to a nice thudyness.

18. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I find the Tomastiks to feel really mushy for some reason. I've been playing Labellas for years and I think they give the best traditional flatwound sound. Rotosounds are nice as well.

19. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I've only played D'addario Chromes and Rotosound RS77 flats, so my flatwound experience is limited . . . personally, I LOVED the Rotosounds, but the E went super-dead (like, more dead than flats already are to begin with) very quickly. The Chromes were too high tension for, and I didn't like their sound as much, but they lasted a long time.

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Chromes come in three gauges, and you can order them in singles from http://juststrings.com and put your own set together; this is what I'm doing now. If you don't like the sound that's a whole nother vat of chum, I don't like Rotosounds all that much; but that is why there are so many string brands, the hard/fun/frustrating part is finding the right one.