Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best gig ever....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dabshire, Apr 14, 2003.

1. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I don't know how many of you guys play in a Church setting, but I just wanted to say (in my opinion) I think it's one of the coolest gigs out there. There are no egos involved (at least with the guys I play with), and everyone is there to give and to serve, rather than be "in the spotlight". I think it's awesome to be able to use the gifts God gave you to make music, and I can't think of a better way to thank him than to help lead others in worship.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm posting this, but I thought some of you might get something out of this.

Just some ramblings from my mind...

Henry Wadsworth Longefellow wrote, "Music is the universal language of mankind." Music is a powerful force. It can convict, bring joy, bring tears, and move the soul. It is a mystical language that we all speak. Musicians and non-musicians alike. Man, woman, and child. It is a language native to our spirit and our soul. How wonderfully blessed we are to get to speak this language. How awesome it is to get to understand and produce these spiritual “words”. To help communicate healing and hope, joy and laughter, to those around us. Think about it. You can read the words of a song a thousand times, and never get the whole meaning or the feelings behind the words. But set those very same words to music, and a thousand volumes are communicated instantly. The composer’s deepest feelings and emotions are displayed. Laid out and shared, and interestingly enough, understood by all those listening.

The music we create also forms a bond between us that is special and unique. I really believe that as we create music together, we connect on another level. A deep, abiding connection. An unspoken bond. We bare some part of us that cannot be expressed any other way. We let our spirits communicate in a way that they otherwise could not. We share a part of ourselves with everyone listening. We give back to God the thing he gave to us.

Don

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I play in my church band too...agree with you that it can be a great way to serve and give back. I've had great experiences doing this, but I have run across some egos in church groups just like other groups. Fortunately these situations seemed to have worked themselves out for the best and most involved are there not to show-off their talents but to aid in worship. Our group has gone through lots of changes and yet we still continue to grow together. Truly a blessing.
    :)