1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Best Gig You Never Played?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Last summer I got a call to sub on a cover band gig at a local car show. I was on the other side of the state and couldn't get back in time so I had to turn it down. Well I ran into the leader of that band last weekend and asked him how the gig went and he said they played for an hour, then it started pouring rain and they had to quit and rush all their gear into the truck... then to top it all off, they didn't get paid.

So, what's the gig you turned down (or couldn't take for whatever reason) and are really glad it turned out that way?

2. Ashdharma

Ashdharma

Mar 26, 2009
    Northwest IN
    You dodged a bullet!

As for me, we got asked to play a small coffee house gig with 2 bands that we are good friends with and one that none of us knew. We accepted since we knew the 2 bands already. As it came closer and closer to the show, we were hoping more info would be forthcoming about it like: time, cost, bill order, sound provided, load in time, etc.

It became very clear that this was going to be a very unorganized show. So we dropped ourselves from the bill 3 days before the show. Good thing too, they tried to charge people $8 to get in to an all ages show at a coffee house that is known to not be too friendly to teens (owner won't unlock the doors to let you in until he thinks there is enough people to warrant the show even taking place! even if it's -20 degrees!), yet still tries to pack the place with them for shows.

Anyway, our friends did play and told us that only about 8 people paid to get in, while a much larger crowd turned away due to the high admission, high coffee prices, and poor treatment. Of course they did not get paid, they didn't even get free coffee.

Glad my BS meter is very sensitive!

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm going to bet that coffeehouse is out of business by now. Or if not, then well on its way. It's amazing how little sense some "business people" exhibit at times.