The Best Instructional Videos....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Supergroup, Feb 14, 2006.

1. What are some of your favorite videos available for purchase or free on the internet that deal with general techinque or specific styles? I am new around here, but not to bass, and was thinking of breaking on through to the other side with some new techniques. While reading about these techniques is informative, I can pick up on stuff exponentially quicker with visual aids as I think most people can. Thanks in advance.... list 'em.
  2. eekmo

Feb 13, 2004
    Sachse, TX
    Jaco Pastorius - Modern Electric Bass
    Victor Wooten Super Bass Solo Technique
    Victor Wooten & Carter Beauford - Making Music
  3. SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
  4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Ed Friedland's "Slap: The Ultimate Guide" dvd is great for learning slap. I've never been taught" how to slap, so I bought to gauge my own learning and although there was nothing really new for me, I can see it being a huge help to new slap players.

Also, I have Bill Dicken's "Collection" dvd. Bill is a very easy going guy and teaches well, but the expalnation of some techniques is a little bare due to time restrictions etc etc, but if you're already a competant player (this is NOT a dvd for beginners) I think you'll have a lot of fun with it.
  5. I have been told that I am bad ass on numerous occasions... to which I reply, "Tony Levin is bad ass, I am an ass"

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I
  6. kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    I absolutely friggin LOVE "Modern Electric Bass" by Jaco Pastorius. I am fairly new to his style, though I've been playing bass for 18 yrs. I love his melodic style, and the excersises are very helpful
  7. Carol Kayes video is fantastic.
  8. I watched it for the first time last night and just sat there in awe. I didn't find it too useful at my level. I couldn't follow what he was doing very well. Great video though. Jaco is pretty intense.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The first Stu Hamm video "Slap, Pop And Tap For The Bass" from Hot Licks Video is the bible to me. His second one "Deeper Inside The Bass" is great, also. Not only because of the cool lessons, but also because Stu is a very nice guy whose explanations are extremely clear.
  10. Too right you are. That´s one of my favourites too.
  11. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Seconded! It's a great demonstration and explanation of left and right hand technique for any level of bassist.
  12. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.