Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the best japan songs, without buying albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 11, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    your japans greatest hits. so i can get 'em of itunes. im moving otherwise id get the cd's and i will eventually. but what do you all think is the best of the best.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Japan is a... band?

My favorite japanese artist is Cornelius, he has a couple albums on iTunes :meh:

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well - their earlier stuff is quite different from their later stuff. I like all of it, some more than others but it's hard to say what you'd like.

My favorites are:

from Tin Drum:

Canton
    Ghosts
    Visions of China
    The Art of Parties

from Gentlemen Take Polaroids:

Swing
    Methods of Dance

from Quiet Life:

Quiet Life
    Alien
    Halloween

From Obscure Alternatives:

Suburban Berlin

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

indeed the band.

5. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    They're my favorite band, so I can't endorse this thread. Buy their last three albums! They were reissued last year.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    which are tin drum and what others?

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I edited the post to show albums.

P.S. -- Amazon.com is your friend. :)

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well i had ordered most of the mick karn stuff from amazon, but due to wait periods and what not i never got the package. ive waited dang near a month and a half. i was little peeved. oh well.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    :meh:
    (FWIW, I only stumbled upon them a few months ago...the UK Bass mag had an issue featuring Punk's "50 Best Basslines". For some reason, Japan's "Visions Of China" made the list...it is a convoluted fretless groove from Mick Karn. Japan looked a little like Duran Duran(in the photo provided by the UK Bass magazine).

Add Toshinori Kondo to your short list.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow - that's cool, but also funny that it's on a "punk" list. Yes, in style and some sound elements they were similar to Duran Duran, but a couple years ahead of them.