The best mulit-efx unit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Just to give everyone an idea about what I'm talking about. I've been listening to a lot of King Crimson and our band decided to start utilizing a lot of sounds and effects, as well as different instrument sounds, in our music. So I was wondering if there was an efx unit that could provide me with different instrument sounds as well as a lot of common effex, like wah and overdrive and that kind of stuff. I heard that the Roland pickup thing worked pretty well. Has anyone used it or know if it sounds good? I'm looking for really high quality stuff too. Something I won't have to replace later. I'm open to any and ever suggestion so lay em on me. :p
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Do you have a budget limit ?
    If not, consider Eventide and TC Electronics.
    The G-Force kicks some serious bottom.
  3. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The Roland p/up thingy, with a GR33 synth module for different instruments (don't know how well this would work on bass, it's designed for guitar), and the V-bass for all your bassy goodness.

The G-force kicks major ass, but consider the G-major, slighty stripped down, but a hell of a lot cheaper. Lots of rackmounty lighty goodness.

I have the GT6B, which delivers good quality in all the bread & butter fx. You have ample choices of OD/dist modules, and a smattering of wahs.
    The bass synth effect works suprisingly well, and is very editable with a huge range of sounds. You have to play carefully with good muting technique to get it to track well tho. I can even pull off Steve Vai's 'Ballerina' track with mine and a bog standard Squier Strat!:cool:
  4. TC Electronic FireworX all the way!

Did you know that TC Electronic and the legendary Eventide are the same company? Just to put things in perspective.
  5. Jazz Ad

More reasonnable, but still excellent is the Boss VF-1.
  6. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    but you need to buy 2 of them to make it fit in a rack nicely ;)
  7. O.k. I'm considering the V-bass system or the TC electronics G-force. So what do I need to for the crazy instruments? That's what I'm really interested in.
  8. Jazz Ad

The Roland V-Bass is the only one that will let you do that, unless you want to use a MIDI system.
  9. I have one, and it's an exceptionally well designed processor for the money. But not exactly top notch (no wahwah or synth in the bass algo? come on!) I stand by the FireworX. One day I'll own one :bassist: :cool:
  10. The V-bass lets you play chords in synth mode, the G-force can only process one single note.

The V-bass is (IMO) very limited in the number of sound effects and editing thereof. The G-force (or its advanced brother the FireworX) exceeds the V-bass by far when it comes to sound effects and editing/linking.

Get both!
  11. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I used to have a FireworX. It sounds great in the studio, but I am not sure how practicle it would bein a live rig.

The G-Force is much better suited for a live rig.

The Eventide H-series are awesome. You can get lots of cool sounds out of it. Not the most user-friendly though.

There is a fairly new Eventide out that all of my friends are raving about. I think it is called the Eclipse.
  12. Well it seems to me like nobody makes anything worth buying. At least no one has the complete package. And I'm very dissapointed. Guess I'm going to a million guitar shops to try stuff out. Thanks anyway though.
  13. Don't mind me making an observation:

Basically you want everything, and you're disappointed that you can't have it.

Welcome in the real world ;)
  14. what would you guys recommend for someone who doesn't necessarily need the distortion or other instruments?

i've got a pedal for delay, one for wah, one for EQ, and a volume pedal. Since we've been getting bigger and bigger as a band, the singer has been urging me to replace my boss pedals with an effects processor to get a cleaner sound.

So far I don't see any processors with switchable EQs, and I want to keep my wah pedal, but I'd be interested in something with some good effects and an option for a midi switchboard. I'm mostly interested in being able to use multiple delays, but I'd be open to synths, band pass filters and whatever else they came with.

would a lexicon 200 suit my needs? the g-force, even on ebay is VERY expensive, and I don't really feel the need to drop THAT MUCH coin on an effects processor I may not get that much out of.
  15. irony alert.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    where did you hear that? eventide is headquartered in new jersey, whereas tc electronic is headquartered in denmark. to the best of my knowledge, two totally different companies.
  17. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Eventide is in NJ, one of my friends used to work for them......
  18. well i'm referring to the quality of the sound before it gets to the power amp - i.e. right now i'm running an effects loop, so it goes:

bass -> eden preamp -> effects loop out -> wah pedal -> Boss EQ pedal -> Boss Delay pedal -> Volume Pedal -> DOD EQ -> Behringer Compressor -> effects loop in -> eden power amp / Direct Out -> mackie power amp

so, if i were to get an effects processor, I could potentially cut out at least one of the pedals (the delay), if I could find a way to adjust the EQ via the processor, then I could cut out 2 pedals, if I got a switchboard with a pedal for wah, then I could ditch the wah, and then all I would have to potentially deal with would be a volume pedal, so I would be sending a much cleaner signal to my power amps.
  19. I'm not sure, but for a lot of effect types (for example pitch shifting), they use the same DSP algorithms, their front panel designs look alike, their logo typefaces are same, and they both occupy the top level of the market. And I wouldn't be surprised if they both use the same DSP chips.

Maybe they're not the same company, but they "borrow" a lot from each other (or one from the other!)