1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Best nut to put on my Bass????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by majikdaze, Mar 12, 2013.

1. majikdaze

majikdaze

Mar 12, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    I bought a S101 P-Body Bass cheap and replaced everything except the wood and finish & now I'm ready to put a good nut on it as I'm not sure what the one on it is even made of probably plastic, I love playing this bass even if it is cheap & starting to really groove after only about 6 monthes, took me way longer to pick up the six strings , Thanks I really like this forum and have gleaned lots of info from it :bassist:

2. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    The nut does only affect open strings so it doesnt matter really

3. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    To expand on the above, typically if you don't have a problem with the nut, it's not likely that changing it will make a giant difference. If you want to try something new, then the determining factor is probably your tools. Micarta is easy to work with, and is functionally similar to bone. It's good for practicing on.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I usually use graphite, its self lubricating so it makes tuning (slightly) easier, and black looks good on everything. Sometimes a white bone nut just doesn't fit the look.

5. majikdaze

majikdaze

Mar 12, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks , I'm thinking graphite what I'll probably get eventually for now the stock nut works and I'm only 1 hearing it , I need to find some jammin buds

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I like black Corian:

coriannut.

coriannut1.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bone is my default. I've used corian, micarta, ebony, rosewood and graphite but there's little difference except on open strings - especially with the wood nuts on a fretless.

On a fretted bass the stock plastic nut usually works just fine. Use it unless/until it breaks, the replace it with any of the above.

8. Only nut that I would consider buying as an upgrade is Warwick's Just-A-Nut 3.
    It's the only truly innovative and worthwhile option to purchase as far as nuts go, for me.