The Best Octave Up Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by paniak17, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

None is. The Digitech is a multi with an ok but slow pitch shifter, the others are an octavia-like pedal that add high octave harmonics to distortion but they're not really hi octavers.
    The Whammy will do it fine, along with a lot of other things.
    The best one has to be the Akai Unibass bt it's expensive and discontinued.
    The Boss PS-5 will do a great job at it.
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Check ou tthe EH POG. Expensive but does a lot. One octave down - to octaves up, mixable, etc.
  3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I got a chance to test out an Electro Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator (the EH POG mentioned above), and I'm in love. One and two octaves up AND down, as well as detuned octave up and down, for a slightly chorused effect.

Only big drawback is that it can cause your input to freakout, so you have to set the actualy signal of your bass on the pedal low. Oh yeah, and the price. A couple hundred $$$ if I remember correctly.
  4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    J'allais le dire !! (I was about to tell about that).

The Boss PS-5 is great. When it comes to 1 octave up, it sounds synthetic, but well... it's synthesis... 2 octave up is too much for me, but it does it well.

It tracks well, but it is obviously done for guitars. Like the OC-2. It hasn't (yet ?) the possibility found on the OC-3, a bass-dedicated input. And when you compare the two inputs on the OC-3, you know what I mean when I say that the PS-5 if for guitars.

It remains a great pedal thought.

It can go up to two octave, up or down. It can harmonize in scales, for example follows the 3rds, minor or major, depending on the scale you select. Extraordinary... I prefer to play the interval myself, but for lazy players who wants to do 3rd, 4th or octaves, it's a must have.
  5. any sound clips or soemthing? how does it handle chords? ii have no idea how this is gonna sound. thanks!

EDIT: can someone compare the ps-5 octave up with the digitech whammy octave does the whammy handle chords? which has a better, cleaner, non synthesysed sound.
  6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    For me, both are the same. Both can't handle chords as far as I know. Both sound synthetic, but eh...

I was really interested in thoses things, and then I realize I loved too much my bass' tone to get it destroyed by a violent pitch shift.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an Akai UniBass, which does just this. But, although I am fairly happy with its performance, I do wish that it had better tracking, and that it sounded less synthetic. I am thinking that an analog octave up might be the way to go. I have heard good things about the old Octavia pedals, as well as thew new EH POG.

Does anyone know what octave up pedal tracks the best (when playing moving lines and/or simple chords) and what pedal sounds the most natural (least synthetic)?

I have spent some time reading the archives, but to me, it seems like the jury is still out on these last two points.
  8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    The Octron might be our best bet.

It's analog, true bypass...goes an octave up, an octave down plus it has a level for 'clean' (you can also blend all 3).
    I emailed Dave Fox and asked about the tracking - I should have been more specific but here's his response...

>How does this track with electric bass?

I haven't tried it yet but so far two people have reported back that it tracks well. But I always remind people that Octron's lower octave works on the same principal as other analog octave dividers. The more articulate the playing is, the better it tracks. Multiple overlapping notes will confuse it.

Looks pretty good to me...
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    He also said he's going to have his bass player record some samples to post on his site. By Oct/Nov he should be all caught up and there won't be a waiting list. I'm guessing the lower octave will track and sound alright and the upper octave will sound really really really good with bass. I think I'll be selling my Unibass...
  10. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Any update on this?