Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the best of jaco?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by old_skool, Aug 5, 2001.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was wondering if all the jaco lovers could post there favorite jaco tunes. it doesnt have to be just one, but try to pick a few of the best. thanks.

2. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Donna Lee

BirdLand

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well Jaco didn't write either of these - if you're looking for "Jaco Tunes":

"3 Views of a Secret", "Havona" , "Reza", etc.

4. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Donna Lee is on his ReIssue. Who wrote it? :confused:

5. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    Havona, Domingo, 3 Views of a Secret and Continuum are some of my favorites.
    Btw, are there any studio recordings of Domingo? I have the "The birthday party" version.

6. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    I belive Donna Lee is a Miles Davis solo, but I don't know the name of the orginal tune that the solo is in. Is the orginal tune called Donna Lee too??

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If memory serves, it's a Charlie Parker tune. And it's the melody of the tune, not a solo.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Charlie 'Bird' Parker is usually credited with "Donna Lee"; Miles has stated over & over that it was HIS melody, NOT Bird's.
    "Donna Lee" is based on the same changes as the standard, "Indiana".

3 of my favorites-
    "Three Views Of A Secret"
    "Dania"
    "Crisis"

9. "Dania" is one of Jaco's hidden gems. I've heard it as a bootleg and I believe also on Invitation. The only version I have at home is the one on the "Who Loves Ya" tribute album, but it's smoking.

I also like "Kuru/Speak Like a Child." This kind of bass line has been copied so many times, but I highly suspect it was a Jaco creation.

"John and Mary" is also a nice tune.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Alex-
    ...don't recall "Dania" being on Invitation(or for that matter, even Twins).
    There is also a nice version of the tune on Brian Melvin's Night Food album(Jaco is playing the bass).
    Mark Egan does do a Helluva job on the Who Loves Ya version...

11. JimK, which album is "Dania" found on? A long time ago, someone lent me an album (don't remember which one) and I heard "Dania" on it. I thought it might have been Invitation because I also borrowed that from the same person too, but I'm probably wrong. I know for a fact that I've heard it one of the bootleg NYC albums. But I'm pretty sure that I heard a more legit, better-quality version somewhere else, but I can't remember.

12. Come on, Come Over
    Teen Town

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beats me; I listed the two versions I like.