the best of jaco?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by old_skool, Aug 5, 2001.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was wondering if all the jaco lovers could post there favorite jaco tunes. it doesnt have to be just one, but try to pick a few of the best. thanks.

2. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Donna Lee

BirdLand

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well Jaco didn't write either of these - if you're looking for "Jaco Tunes":

"3 Views of a Secret", "Havona" , "Reza", etc.

4. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Donna Lee is on his ReIssue. Who wrote it? :confused:

5. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    Havona, Domingo, 3 Views of a Secret and Continuum are some of my favorites.
    Btw, are there any studio recordings of Domingo? I have the "The birthday party" version.

6. Quzumm

Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    I belive Donna Lee is a Miles Davis solo, but I don't know the name of the orginal tune that the solo is in. Is the orginal tune called Donna Lee too??

7. If memory serves, it's a Charlie Parker tune. And it's the melody of the tune, not a solo.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Charlie 'Bird' Parker is usually credited with "Donna Lee"; Miles has stated over & over that it was HIS melody, NOT Bird's.
    "Donna Lee" is based on the same changes as the standard, "Indiana".

3 of my favorites-
    "Three Views Of A Secret"
    "Dania"
    "Crisis"

9. "Dania" is one of Jaco's hidden gems. I've heard it as a bootleg and I believe also on Invitation. The only version I have at home is the one on the "Who Loves Ya" tribute album, but it's smoking.

I also like "Kuru/Speak Like a Child." This kind of bass line has been copied so many times, but I highly suspect it was a Jaco creation.

"John and Mary" is also a nice tune.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Alex-
    ...don't recall "Dania" being on Invitation(or for that matter, even Twins).
    There is also a nice version of the tune on Brian Melvin's Night Food album(Jaco is playing the bass).
    Mark Egan does do a Helluva job on the Who Loves Ya version...

11. JimK, which album is "Dania" found on? A long time ago, someone lent me an album (don't remember which one) and I heard "Dania" on it. I thought it might have been Invitation because I also borrowed that from the same person too, but I'm probably wrong. I know for a fact that I've heard it one of the bootleg NYC albums. But I'm pretty sure that I heard a more legit, better-quality version somewhere else, but I can't remember.

12. Come on, Come Over
    Teen Town

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beats me; I listed the two versions I like.