Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Best of the Basses.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paul_mccartney, Apr 20, 2001.

1. In your humble opinion(s), what would you say is the best bass for....

(1) ...funk?

(2) ...jazz?

(3) ...hard rock/metal/alternative?

(4) ...pop?

(5) ...Latin?

(6) ...Anything else in particular?

(7) ...what about for versatility?

(8) and overall?

My apologies if I'm reviving a dead thread.

Being a beginner, I won't cast my votes, but instead will use it as a reference point.

So, which bass is best?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As much as you'll probaly hate to see this, I've seen all kinds of basses used in all kinds of genres/styles by many exceptional players. As long as they have sufficient amplification, it's really who's at the wheel.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    (1) ...funk? Fender Jazz or Spector NS-5

(2) ...jazz?

(3) ...hard rock/metal/alternative? Spector NS-5 or a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string

(4) ...pop? Spector NS-5

(5) ...Latin?

(6) ...Anything else in particular? Spector NS-5

(7) ...what about for versatility? G&L L-2500

(8) and overall? Spector NS-5

I left jazz & latin out because I don't want to comment on music I'm not to familiar with. But I'll go ahead & say Spector NS-5 for both catagories.

4. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    (1) ...funk?

MusicMan Stingray.

(2) ...jazz?

an upright bass.

hard rock/metal: Spector NS-2 or Modulus Quantum (# of strings you need).

alternative: Gibson Ripper.

(4) ...pop?

Fender P-bass.

(5) ...Latin?

no idea.

blues - P-bass.
    prog-rock - Rickenbacker 4003.

Jazz bass.

(8) and overall?

the one you're most comfortable with.

5. I think a Fender MIA Jazz will do for whatever style you play. But as Rickbass1 says it's who's at the wheel.

Stu

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm with Stu (thouhg I think you should have a MIA Fender Jazz Fiver), and that would be about as much as you could ask for.

And like Rickbass said, it's who's at the wheel...

7. In my humble opinion, there's no such thing as the best bass. Or at least I cannot submit any bass as the best bass for certain music genre. There can be basses that are used often in certain music genre, but not necessarily the best. Your bass sound for "Jazz" may not be what I like or anybody else for that matter. It's WAY TOO subjective.:)

read this article:

http://www.geocities.com/feliyaling2/attitude_not_talent.html

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think that there are certain basses that tend to be associated with certain types of sounds, but within the gigantic realm of luthiers out there, both big and small, ranging from someone as huge as Fender or Peavey down to someone as small as Elrick or even smaller, it's nearly impossible to make such generalizations.

Very few people on this website have probably even tried enough of these different basses sufficiently to honestly know what's best! And, those who DO have experience with a large number of instruments probably cannot limit their choices to only one or two for each genre.

At this level, all we can truly find out is what some individuals feel is their own personal preference. But, just as some people feel that a '61 jazz bass is ultimate bass for jazz, there are others out there who feel Fenders will never cut it in ANY format.

And, while I certainly have my own personal preferences, I have a difficult time voting against some small, yet well known luthiers whose bass guitars I've never even seen outside of a magazine ad or a web page...

9. (1) ...funk?
    This is really a toss-up Warwick Thumb, or possibly MM stingray....
    (2) ...jazz?
    Again tie...Fodera, or Elrick....
    Hands down Gibson Thuderbird...I want a '76 seafoam green if anybody knows where I can get one....
    (4) ...pop?
    Squier, due to the fact that pop is so computerized anymore...
    (5) ...Latin?
    I like Warwick for most Latin.....

My G&L L-2500
    (8) and overall?
    I have always wanted a Jerzy Drozd...

These are just my personal views, and in no way are they the "right answers"....

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    (7) Most versatile - Lakland 55-94

You can play all that stuff on one, and so,

(8) Lakland 55-94

11. one name, all those catagories IBANEZ
    just kidding i only play metal so i'm stuck with ibanez

12. Don't say that you - Only - play metal, there's nothing wrong with sticking to one genre if that's what your happy with and any bass can be used for any genre as long as you like the sound you get..

Stu

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ok, let's start. with me at the wheel

1 fender jazz
    2 fender jazz
    3 spector ns 5, fender precision, G&L sb2 or gibson t bird
    4 rickenbacker 4001/4003 or fender jazz
    5i have no experience with this kind of music
    6 no
    7versatility? G&L l2000, l2500 or asat or fender jazz
    8 i vote for the spector with emg soapbar, fender precision, rickenbacker, fender jazz and gibson t-bird

14. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I would say if you have active electronics you could shape your sound for all of those types of playing.

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    There's so much more to it than just active electronics. Pickup configuration, strings and body woods shape the sound more than just having a preamp in your bass, IME. And if having a preamp inside the bass would give you every tone in the world, wouldn't an external preamp do as well? So, basically you're saying that I can plug in my passive Jazz into any amplifier and get a Musicman or a Warwick tone? You know that is not true. :)

Also, in my eyes, a good preamp is a transparent one.

Please excuse my little rant.

16. That is very true, I just reply to many of these as if I could have an arsenal of basses, what would I choose for each song I play.....

But the bottom line is Stu is right...Any bass that works for you is the best for that type of music...

17. ....that I should rephrase the original statement.

Instead of choosing the "best" for each style, how about ya'll give your input on which bass is your favorite for each style? Since, after all, the "best" of a style is rather subjective and broad.

How's that?

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In that case, my Spector NS-4 fits the bill for 'em all!:D

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    here's my take on the 3 styles out of that list i play using basses i have experience with.

funk-pbass,jbass,musicman

jazz-if your playing out of the real book you cant go wrong with the fenders but i also think the rob allen fretless basses fit the bill.if its a more modern thing like fusion the modern sounds are great.mtd's warwick,an active jazz bass-all tops on my list

latin-a baby bass either ampeg or the like. something ive always liked for that deep latin tone is a musicman with the bass boosted, treble cut and some foam under the strings. it gives a great thud for laying down some tumbao's

20. Here's my opinion...

(1) ...funk: Sadowsky Vintage 5

(2) ...jazz: Sadowsky Vintage

(3) ...hard rock/metal/alternative: Sadowsky Modern

(4) ...pop: Sadowsky Modern 5 and Zon Lightwave fretless.

(5) ...Latin: uh.. Sadowsky. palm-muted

(6) ...Anything else in particular? If I were playing more progressive rock, I would consider a Conklin 7.

(7) ...what about for versatility? well... uh... that would be a Sadowsky Vintage 5 :) If I could only have 1 bass, it would be a Sadowsky.

(8) and overall: Hummm... let me think about this... Sadowsky Vintage 5 and a Zon Lightwave fretless. :D

Jeff