Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best of the best pu's ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wooten, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Wooten

Wooten

Feb 4, 2005
    Ok, I know this has been discussed previously, but I would like some extra details from experienced players. I own a MIM 2001 J-Bass, so I'm all good with the different pu sizes for J-Bass's. I have narrowed it down to the highest rated pu's: Aero type 1 MP-181, SD Antiquity 2 and Dimarzio Model J. I really love the old fender vintage sound and always seem to lack clearness and definition in my present set-up. I play a variety of styles: old rock, blues, jazz, funk... I play with my fingers and tend to slap/pop often which means I'm in constant search for that well-balanced "twangy" sound. I want present low's to accompany crips mid's and bright high's. I run my J-Bass threw a Hartke HA3500 head and a Eden D-210XLT cab. Thank you for the help!

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    IME, the DiMarzio Model J's won't give you a very crisp high end, but they will give you a really good bottom end, an incredibly defined lower midrange voice (which is the best aspect of the pickup IMO), and a decent mid-range that isn't overpowering. I loved mine, but occasionally had to really crank up the treble on my EQ to get enough bite out of them. This wasn't too big of a deal as I typically prefer bottom end and lower midrange to a snappy treble.

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  4. Major

Major

Jan 7, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I've read good things about Villex pickups - they're on my wish list.
    Cheers.

5. Fralins.

No contest......Except for maybe the SD Antiquities and Nordstrand (from what I've heard others say)...

I dumped an awesome set of Duncan SJB-2s because the Fralins were awesomer (I know that's not really a word...:D). Very vintage vibe....

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    No, your right. I have almost 0 expierence with J pups. Why? I started with the best :D

7. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    I know this may go against the grain a little, but I am speaking truth here, some of the Fender custom shop pick-ups really blow me away. They nail the classic J-bass sound.

8. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    I only say " going against the grain " because it seems like if you start talking about fenders, people freak out and the fender bashers come out in droves.

9. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    Amen!!!

10. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anybody try any of the Sadowsky singles or humbuckers as replacements?

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    +1

William gave us a personal demo of his Jazz pups. They're truly amazing, They go way beyond anything from any other manufacturer (at least that I've heard). He's quite the amazing engineer, it seems. He's got a very off-the-wall but highly effective method of controlling the midrange. Plus he's got that passive booster thing, that rocks to the max. I'd highly recommend checking out his pups. Last I heard the Amp Shop in Sherman Oaks CA became one of his local dealers, I'm not sure if/where the other ones are. He's a really smart guy, a bit eccentric perhaps, but his engineering is highly effective. One listen is all it takes. One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and have him build some pups for me. That's an opportunity I don't want to pass up. :)