Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Best of What Duck Dunn...?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by John K., Jan 15, 2003.

1. Sorry for the bad pun in the title.

Anyway, my teacher is flying down to California for a while (I think he might be down at the Bass Bash, I'm not sure about NAMM though) and when he gets back, we're supposed to be getting into some Dunn and Jamerson as part of his "Grooves" section.

I've been listening to a lot of Jamerson lately, got the book and all (buy the book NOW), and now I wanna start with the Duck stuff.

So what are some of the best works of Donald Dunn? I found a thread that showed some of the albums he worked on, but I didn't find specific recordings. Thanks everybody.

2. All the Booker T stuff (Time is Tight, Green Onions) some other soul like Knock on Wood and I Thank You (by Sam and Dave). You have probably heard Duck on most of (all of?) the Blues Brothers movie tunes.

:cool: :D

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Yea, like Big O said (Booker T and the MGs, Blues Brothers stuff etc...) Theres some great stuff on the Stax-Volt series. I would like to hear suggestions for lesser known stuff myself.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you click on allmusic.com, type Duck Dunn in the search, click on Donald "Duck" Dunn, then you will see a page that has virtually all the recordings on which Dunn has appeared including four with Jose Feliciano, some with Eric Clapton, the movie soundtrack to "Fear and Loathing in las Vegas". etc. What an incredible career Dunn has had!

I will try to get you a link to that list of recordings, but as I am not tech smart, you may have to do it the other way as outlined in my first paragraph.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=10:53:01|AM&sql=Byjuw6j3h71t0

This is the link to Duck Dunn's complete discography. I hope it works.

OK, it doesn't work entirely. It just takes you to allmusic and the search feature. Type Donald "Duck" Dunn in the search space and you will be taken directly to the page with his entire autobiography and his discography. I was surprised to see he played on several of Rod Stewart's CDs.

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    There is a book/2CD set available called 'What Duck Dunn', which is similar to the Jamerson book. Keep an eye out for it.

"Our publication entitled "What Duck Done" is a spiral-bound book containing thirty three transcribed bass lines as played by legendary bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn. Written by Tim Tindall. Included are many of Ducks' more famous works with artists such as Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Carla & Rufus Thomas, Booker T. & the M.G.'s, Freddie King, Albert King, Muddy Waters and others. Also included in the book are an in-depth analysis of Ducks' playing, a discography, anecdotes from many of Ducks' peers and a brief biography.

Our package also includes two CD's which contain all transcriptions played in their entirety. The CD's are mixed with the bass to the left-side and all accompaniment to the right-side. This allows the listener, by using their balance control, to "solo" out the bass parts or to play along with the accompaniment."

7. Thanks a lot everybody!