1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The best overdrive unit/pedal with a tube in it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mastershake, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    The best in my op Iv found is the markbass distore, and it lets you filter ether the low or highs to be distorted.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So do you actually own the Distorsore, or did you just read about it somewhere? I ask because so far nobody else who's used it has posted a positive review of that pedal. Also, which tube-containing OD's are you comparing it to?

3. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    No iv only heard it to be honest, and i think its one of the only ones of its kind, the only other one i can think of is the EBS ValveDrive and im not a real big fan of that one. but in comparison its the best i know of/heard and sounds like it has potential if you know how dial in it right.
    although the recording quality of this video is not the best you still get the idea more or less. start from 6:09
    YouTube - ‪Markbass Distorsore tube distortion pedal‬‏

4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I own the distorsore. If you like harsh fuzzy distortion that goes from heavy to pure noise, it's great. If you want smooth overdrive, there's no way. I'm springin' for a DHA VT-1 EQ.

5. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    Yeah I just figured if wanted a tube sound then why not just use a pedal with a real tube in it. I was just curious to see if there's any others out there. there's a lot of overdrive pedals out there but they seem to be lacking in simplicity. I may just have to learn how to build my own like a soft clipping circuit with leds or germanium diodes and symmetrical/asymmetrical switching.

6. What about the EHX English Muffin'? Heard some good clips somewhere here on TB.

The EHX Black Finger is able to produce a nice overdriven sound even though it's a compressor.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Grrr.... Please. If you have no experience with it, and if you think there's only one other pedal like it, then do not say it is "the best". There are dozens of tube-containing overdrive pedals out there, at all price points, and in many different flavors. If one is designed to sound "clean and warm" while another is designed to sound heavily distorted, then is one "better" than the other? Yet they both have a tube...

Maybe next time do some homework first.

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    But is it the best for metal? :bassist:

9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    A tube in a pedal is no guarantee that a pedal will sound like an overdriven tube amp. AND no tube in a pedal does not guarantee it won't sound like a tube amp.

There are circuits that sound very much like an overdriven tube amp that do not use tubes... thinking of the Cream Pie Deluxe and Darkglass B3K for example.

And I do have experience with good sounding pedals with tubes, mainly the Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket (still wish I had one).

10. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    i like mine plenty!

11. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    I guess it was a bit bold of me to say the best however i did state it was just my opinion. I did do a quick search though, and a bit more extensively on the internet. what I meant was there's few pedals with tubes in them made specifically for bass that I know of. there is more pedals with tubes in them, i realize this but if Im correct the majority are made for guitar which i assume are made for guitar frequencies, so I'm not sure if these pedals are sufficient enough for bass without you loosing some bottom.