Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The BEST Piano synthesis you have heard?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jaggedsphere, Nov 14, 2003.

1. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    The BEST Piano(or other instruments) synthesis you have heard?
    What model or version do you think synthesizes with the most realisim?

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I use a soundfont ripped from some type of Roland synth. It's called RolandNICE if that helps. If I make a wav out of the midi and add reverb it sounds very realistic.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nobody uses synthesized piano, sample players are the tools of the trade.

Check out Steinberg's The Grand (beware it's 1.2 GB in size) or Gigapiano.

4. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    JMX, what program do you use to trigger the sounds of the Steinberg piano? Samples can be hard to work with unless you have a fairly fast computer, I guess if you're into music you need that anyway though.

Here's a clip of a piece I'm working on with the Roland soundfont. It gets the job done for rough ideas I think.

5. As far as hardware pianos,
    Probably the most realistic piano sound today, that is from an electronic instrument, would be the Yamaha P250.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/KeyboardsDMI/P250.gif
    I think it’s $1900 and weighs around 70 pounds.

I happen to dig the piano sound from the Nord Electro. Listen to the AcGrand2 'The Malmsjö acoustic grand piano'
    here. .

[​IMG]

6. What ever Derik Sherinian used/uses.

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  8. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    I got a Yamaha PF-500 digital piano and is the best 'real' piano sample and key touch feeling for less than $2K. JMHO of course.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's a VST instrument ,so you need a VSTi-capable host, e.g. Cubase.

A Ghz+ PC should be fine, ASIO 2.0 soundcard is recommended, lots of ram (512+) too.

10. Dunno about Steinbergs The Grand (haven't even got the remotest hope of ever using it) but the "Acoustic Grand" patch on the leatest version of Reason, combined with just a little reverb sounds better than any other piano I've ever heard, real or not.

Just a pity there's no decent brass synthesis yet.

11. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    boy, all this new technology has eluded me!
    I have tried cubase sx but it seems pretty complicated....
    I was watching MuchMusic the other day and there was a live performance with Sting. His keyboard player had a Midi KB controller and a laptop. Is this a 'common' high end 'synthesis' rig nowadays?

12. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    btw what is ASIO 2.0????? is it some sort of design compliant hardware? is it software?

13. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Audio Signal In/Out. I'm unaware of what 2.0 means but I assume it's very low latency. If you have a midi keyboard that you're using to trigger a VST instrument such as 'the grand' you need a soundcard with low latency. For example, I have a $30 soundblaster and it's impossible for me to use real time effects on bass or guitar because the ASIO isn't fast enough. If I turn on an amp model I hear the modeled sound a half second or so later than I actually play it.

14. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, you need a soundcard with proper ASIO drivers, e.g. the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (not the Creative Labs Audigy!), for low latency.