1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The best powered monitor for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David A. Davis, May 27, 2012.

1. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    SUggestions from experience, please. I know, stage monitors are not usually good for bass. I'm looking for positive experiences, there's got to be some decent monitors out there.

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Something from Meyer Sound or a used Berg IP.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    QSC K10 or K12.

noelpaz, fourstr00, jjk2007 and 3 others like this.
  4. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm confused. Are you running straight into the PA? If not, isn't your amp your monitor?

5. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    I've been running d.i. Then to the board. We have Avioms but I just don't dig the IEM thing. I would like to have a great sounding powered monitor that can double as an amp, with input coming from a preamp.

6. fEARful with a built in power amp.

There are no commercially available powered PA speakers that will cover the whole range of bass. You will need to combine a sub and a PA main to do this.

Rumbledore likes this.
  7. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Really, sounds like somebody doesn't know what they are talking about. :eyebrow:

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Best powered monitor for bass? Hmm. Ampeg SVT 2 Pro + 810.

drummer5359 likes this.
  9. Please provide an example of a powered PA main that will truly handle the lows of bass.

On a side note, how about a commercially available powered PA main + sub, that sounds decent and costs less than a bass amp?

10. That.

11. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    To the OP, What is it your not liking about the IEM and what are you looking for in a floor monitor. Could it be your just not used to the dry sound of your bass? If that's the case maybe you could use something like a sansamp to moisten it up.

As far as PA floor monitors, the problem with most of them is they aren't really meant to do all that much below 100hz-70hz. Which is good for the FOH because you really don't need a bunch of speakers on stage reproducing those frequencies anyway. There are some that are better than others. You could bring your bass to a GC and go in the Live Sound room and try some out.

If a standard bass rig is what you really want and it's ok with your band mates I would just get a rig loud enough for your to hear your self, put it in front of you and tilt it back next to a PA monitor. Or just use your rig as your PA and Bass monitor.

12. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    I just started playing with a worship band at my church. This is my first time of playing in a worship band setting (alot different than gigging at a bar). Everyone is running through FOH. The other guy who plays bass doesn't even use a monitor (don't know how he can hear himself). The last practice I ran direct and used headphones for monitoring. I don't like in ear style ear buds etc. There is room for another floor monitor near me, no problem. What I would like to do is a good pre, like an EBS Microbass II (good for practicing alone also), direct out to FOH, back to my Aviom and then into a floor monitor. Preferably into a monitor that can reproduce good bass. My answer maybe a SWR Workingpro 12. I also like the new Ampeg PN-210HLF, but it would need a power supply. I'm just trying to come up with solution that will work in other gigging situations also.

13. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I bought a pair of these for $900.00. http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=594 They sound just fine for bass. When I use them with a pair of QSC HPR181s they sound even better.:) Unlike a bass amp I can run the whole band through this rig try that with a conventional bass amp.

14. That link doeant work for me.

For the low end I use, powered pa cabs won't handle the signal. Subs would have to be used, as you say you do. I can run a whole band through my fEARful should I choose to. One cabs handles both the highs and the lows though.

15. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Link works for me. The speaker I'm talking about is the JBL PRX535. Three way cab with 15inch woofer a 6.5 midrange and a 1.5 inch for the high. Goes down to 46hz + or - 3db.

Ethereal Thorn likes this.
  16. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Depends on what volume level you require. I run my AX8 into a Peavey 15" powered monitor with no issues at all. Keep the volume reasonable,use your ears, and it shouldnt be a problem.

17. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ampeg BA210V2

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I've used an Eris 8 to beef up my PJ Double 4. Sounds great but not sure if it would meet your needs in your situation (I'm assuming you are looking for stage volume), but it sounds great.

frk1nsgmf2ycohnr62chc40kvx8kq0a6.

19. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thread revival!

20. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Bass guitar directly into FOH mixing console. Floor wedge for monitoring on stage, no effects nor EQ either send to monitor. FOH main mix may contain some compressor effect (one or two songs at most) and some EQ tweaking at the mids just to "balance" room acoustic.

edit,
    Pure bass guitar signal send to FOH mixing console via passive Palmer DI cause this ****** digital mixing console does not provide any phone input jacks.
    The wedge used for monitoring is nothing but kinda low budget 12" loaded vocal wedge yet sounds pretty nice with bass guitar

As I don't have any need to reinforece the complete band with my way more powerfull bass cabinets I just bring nothing and take the way more easy way to hit bulls eye.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017