1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The best powered monitor for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David A. Davis, May 27, 2012.

1. bassmantam

bassmantam

Apr 1, 2014
    PJ ear-box is spot on

2. My GK 550 into 2x12 Neo cab was way too much for the small sanctuary I'm currently playing in Sundays. Tried IEM but didn't really like it. Plus I'm next to the Marshall half stack so I didn't feel like cranking an IEM up that loud. Cheapest for me was to put my 2x12 cab on a tllt stand right in front of me facing me for my own monitor. No control over EQ but no farting either. Plus other than the stand it was free. Board is a Berringer going thru amps in a rack room, so I doubt I have any EQ options other than straight from the board. Not the greatest BUT I can hear myself and no more farting on every note!

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I have a very simple, dB Technologies powered 12" wedge that gets the job done, provided it's not loud on stage. I used it once, when I subbed for a band and their whole setup commanded that i'd either bring a wedge or use the IEM channel of someone else. I decided for the wedge. It worked out OK. I was not expecting much, though.
    These things do not compete with a quality bass amp unless you take a really good 15" unit.

You can't beat quality IEM earbuds, though.
    My perfect setup is an amp that does make my pants flap and sends the vibrations through my body while my ears are plugged into my customizable (behringer X-Air) personal IEM mix.

4. catboyzee

catboyzee

Jul 20, 2007
    Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of getting a set of powered monitors for multi-purpose use, as I'm also multi-instrumentalist(bass, keys, guitar) and I'm looking to downside my gear stash. I know a few keyboard players who use QSC K10s and K12s, but not many local bassists doing so. I also hear that Daryl Jones uses a QSCs, and of course Anthony Jackson has been using Meyer powered monitors like, forever. I do like the flat, hi-fi response of a good monitor BTW. Decisions, decisions...

5. Omnisphere

Omnisphere

May 7, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Wayne Jones powered 1x10’s might be a good option.

6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I’ve gotten good bass sound out of a combination of a powered full-range monitor and a powered subwoofer, but I’ve yet to find a powered monitor that could really handle bass or kick drum well on its own.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    :) This word “handle” sounds so subjective. Do we mean calm Eagles covers or Rocco Prestia Tower of Power punch? :)

Munjibunga and jnewmark like this.
  8. Fixitinpost

Fixitinpost Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Barefaced Bass - FR800 high resolution active loudspeaker

9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    JBL PRX 815

Munjibunga likes this.
  10. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    QSC K12.2

K12.2.

Munjibunga likes this.
  11. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I think that it's fair to chime in here. I do make powered speakers that were initially designed for bass but that many are using for PA mains. They go really low.

12. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Rumbledore likes this.
  13. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I was about to suggest a set of powered MAS 18 and/or 28, depending on size and volume/coverage requirements. They are hi-fi without sounding thin or brittle and shaped to allow "stand up" or wedge use. From what I've heard (I got to hear a couple of late-prototype 18s -- unpowered versions), they do well with recorded music. They definitely do well with bass.

I've always preferred playing through a good rig vs. general purpose monitors, but I think that the MAS 18/28s would be good candidates for both.

14. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I have succesfully used:

RCF 735 (I'm sure the newer 745 would do equally well but I haven't used it)
    KSC 12.2
    Barefaced FR800

rigmay2018.

Oh, and I know someone who uses a nice Yamaha 15" powered wedge too. Sounds great.

15. For tiny acoustic duo gigs I’ll use a QSC K8 with a MXR M81. Sounds pretty good.
    Using a monitor for a bass amp is a bit like using an oven as a heater. Not really what it’s designed for, but depending on the conditions, it’ll work.

16. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well,
    It's not a "powered monitor" per se, but the MAS 1/8 works great as a powered cabinet.:)