1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The best practice amps regardless of price

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ajkauppi, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ajkauppi

ajkauppi

Aug 17, 2018
    Hi!

I have noticed that most of the topics related to small practice amp are always centered around inexpensive options, e.g. amps that cost less than 100 bucks, and since I'm considering an amp for home I got to thinking what are some of the best small amps in the market and why? What do professionals prefer? What would you get if price wasn't your first concern?

I would welcome any tips, so thanks in advance!

A

lowplaces and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

20160602_105301.

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If price isn’t the object then I would go with an amp for tone, form factor, and potentially features like DI, tuner, etc.

The Ampeg BA115 sounds amazing and is a well-regarded combo.

The Mesa Subway Amps are three great heads to choose from that pair nicely with their 112 or 115 cabs (or others). I’m especially intrigued by the newly announced Walkabout Subway. For bonus points you could get a custom Mesa cab to compliment your practice area decor.

4. ajkauppi

ajkauppi

Aug 17, 2018
    Which Ampeg is that?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    The best practice amps come from headphones in my opinion. When it's on your ears, you can play as loud as you want. Also, you can mix in music to play along with. I just run through my interface from the di on my amp.

6. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

BA108 great little amp. I gig with it sometimes.

7. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Whatever leftover crap I have that doesn’t buzz too much. Really, I have zero standards in this area. Honestly couldn’t care less as long as I can practice with it. Kinda the main point, if you ask me.

8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    When you count yourself amongst those who play less than a hundred gigs a year and you are not engaged in multiple projects that require weekly band practices so you spend 4 nights a week in the rehearsal den, the chances are that you spend the major part of your bass playing playing over your home setup.
    Therefore, my reasoning is that this has to be less of a cheap setup that barely works for you, but the place where money is well spent.
    To further enforce this, I realized that in the last couple of years, I played only one show where my rig needed to carry the venue. That was because the person organizing the gig was no musician and had no clue that the sound person basically brought a pile of outdated rubble that looked like he dragged it straight from a PA dumpster, with the poweramps and bass cabs way too small for outdoor venues. Apart from that, all gigs happened with sufficient PA support and my rig was used to form the sound and act as a stage monitor.
    So, a terrific sounding small setup is not only great for home practice, but it will cover for lots of live applications as well.

9. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    598F23FC-8152-4C74-A9FD-F8C08242B1D4.
    Works great as a “practice” amp.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If money were no object I would have a fully restored vintage Ampeg B15 fliptop as my practice amp. And I would grin every time I turned it on.

There's a chance I may get there. An old friend has an 18 he's thinking of letting go. He's halfway through restoring it and can't find the time to finish. But he's also in no hurry to decide whether to sell it to me or not.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If it’s primarily for home practice use then the weight becomes a moot point since you won’t be lugging it around. So all those good sounding albeit heavy old heads and cabs that are selling for next to nothing now become a viable option.

For newer affordable I’d suggest an Ampeg B-100R. Nice little combo with a really flexible EQ section, a full sounding 15”, and a headphone jack.

Money no object? An Ampeg B-15N fliptop. Period.

Small portable form factor and silent practice? An Ampeg SCR/DI paired with a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    qtlcefcmp6pi6aajnri9apc2sk5vwg2u.

Some people may disagree. Those people would be known as "wrong".

13. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    One of these:
    • 1964 Ampeg B15-N (if money truly isn't an object)
    • Heritage Ampeg B-15 (nice to have both the '64 and '66 circuits in one)
    • Ampeg PF20-T & Ampeg 115HE (modern, currently-in-production version of the fliptop) This one also happens to be my personal practice rig :thumbsup:

14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
  15. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    GK MB212...small enough for the bedroom, loud enough for a mid sized gig.
    Rock on.

16. Alban

Alban

Apr 8, 2004
    The Netherlands
    There is something of a consensus on best small form-factor combo, it seems to be the AER Amp Three. I know I like mine! Expensive but worth it, ask Ed Friedland.

17. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Respectfully. Why ? You will spend 50x more time practicing than on stage. Enjoy. Have the best possible tone. Enjoy your great tone at home, cause on stage some wooden eared meth head may have control of it.

18. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Good point.

19. Lava

Lava

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    For me it's the Carvin MB210. At home, it's small and sounds good, I can even take it to a small rehearsal and use the 210MBE extension cab. Not a stage amp at all though, for me at least.

lowplaces and mikewalker like this.
  20. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Markbass MiniCMD 121P