Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Best Quiver?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Fred W, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    I was glad to see the Poll-Storage Thread, as my question is related.

I need to buy a quiver to put on my bass. Does anyone have information on the various kinds available? I am looking for the model with the least damping factor. This concerns me because the esteemed luthier Chuck Traeger advised me not to use one at all. One of his main tenets of set-up is to eliminate anything that reduces vibration, for maximum acoustic sound. However I find the lack of a quiver too impractical, as I usually play without a music stand. This leads me to draw on the knowledge of the Forum to find the quiver with the least effect on sound. All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I use a no-brand hard leather quiver I got at luthier François Bonnier's shop. IMHO damping is not a big concern, but rattling and buzzing of the empty quiver against the table is a real pain...

3. As another follower of the Traeger philosophy, I would recommend you find one that is light weight and soft. I have an old one that is made from a canvas type material which has worked quite well for me.

4. I just can't get exercised over whatever damping it is claimed occurs. I would love to administer a blindfold test.

Meanwhile, the best designed, best made, most beautiful quivers I've owned were hand tooled by Joe, from David Gage's shop. The buyer of my DeLeone came back just to buy the quiver for another $85

5. Don - I'm sure the quiver from the Gage shop is beautiful and of the very best quality. However, since Fred W is more concerned with getting the maximum sound out of his instrument rather than appearance, a relatively heavy tooled leather quiver would not seem like the best choice for him. Weight kills sound - period. Is it enough for you to hear in a blindfold test? I don't know. It's just a part of the total package (and the whole is the sum of the the parts).

I had not heard of Charles Traeger until I heard his paper The Setup and Repair of the Bass Violin for Optimum Sound at violin maker's convention in 1995. That paper changed the way I think about a lot of things on a bass. Taken as a whole, his ideas do work.

6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I got a leather one from Lemur for $39 and I like it. It's pretty light, just has little leather ties to tie it around one foot of the bridge and the tailpiece. I haven't noticed any effect on the sound or nuttin.

7. I bought one of these also and have played with it on and off without any noticable difference in the sound.

8. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Whilst I was posting the initial thread my wife suggested wearing it on the right leg, a la holster.
    That would certainly take care of the damping issue, but raises a few others. Would the sound benefit outweigh the potential ridicule? Or would I start a new trend? At least it would dampen my foot tapping.Oops, gotta go- Im late for my fitting.;)

9. I remember a few years ago there was a quiver that was self supporting. That is, it stood by itself on the floor. Anyone know if that one is still made?

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i thought quivers were for storing arrows....not bows :D sorry...

11. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    the dark side: always proud to enlight !

12. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    I had one made with local snakeskin. Looks great but it does rattle alot.:)

13. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I was right there agreeing with you until yesterday. Put on a new set of Eudoxas Tuesday, and had my bridge reset Wednesday (it was off to the E side, musta bumped it going through a door at some point). I kept hearing a funky twang sound on the open A string, but only when pizzed. After driving myself nuts trying to find the source, I discovered it only happened with the bow in the quiver. It would add enough weight to rattle against the tailcord (I tie my quiver so it won't contact the top).

Anyway, I'll try retying it before the gig tonight and try to make it disappear.

Monte

14. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    You gotta post a pic of that!! Like the Guns 'N Roses of Doublebass.:bassist:

Monte

15. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Monte, was outa town or would have responded sooner. Sorry, that snakeskin thing was a spoof:rolleyes:
    I did consider it though, but was well advised by my teacher that if you're going to talk that talk, you best be able to walk that walk. Kinda like lion's heads instead of scrolls.

16. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    joe at gage's makes his quivers look tight! they are works of art, I think I saw Christian Mcbride using one. If you want to look tiiiiiite, get one!

17. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    I still have not decided exactly what to do, but the standalone model got me thinking. I may try mounting a quiver on yhe base of a lightweight foldup music stand.BTW I cant believe no one hears any damping effect with a mounted quiver; I hear a noticable difference taking my Bass Max pickup off (arco).

18. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    FredWr wrote:
    I agree, I switched mine to the treble side of the bridge as it was a little better. Problem is you need some pressure on the piezo for proper operation, but the bridge wings should also vibrate freely, so you're faced a dilemma. ... anyway the public usually don't notice.

Now the damping effect has got to be more subtle with a quiver.

19. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    quivers dampen tone.
    any mass on your bass does, by it's nature.
    take off your quiver when it matters, and if you don't use your bow too much, don't put it on, unless you are not bothered. I always take mine off when it matters.

maybe we just need super-soft umbrella stands?
    not really?

20. BrandonEssex

BrandonEssex

Feb 21, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    I use a homemade leather quiver, but I've seen guys using what looks more like a holster, which holds just the end of the bow (5" or so) rather tightly, and mounts to the back of the tailpiece. Seems to work better with a French bow.
    I personally believe what all these luthiers are saying, if you hang a piece of something on your bass, it will dampen the sound.

What I notice, however, and others may be in a similar situation, is that if my bow is sitting in front of me the whole time I'm playing, I pick it up and play with it more often. The more I play with the bow, the louder and more open my bass sounds. The quiver doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in the volume of my bass. Playing with the bow does.

Therefore, because I'm more focused on jazz, and I'm not a serious full time classical student/player, (someone who would use the bow a majority of the time) the quiver actually makes my bass louder.

Sometimes logistics are more important than physics.