1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "best" rhythm course on the internet?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Oct 22, 2013.

1. best= most effective!

i found the david lucas RELATIVE PITCH course to be quite effective to teach relative pitch myself and others!

so is there a rhythm training course which progressively builds up from scratch to advanced rhythms!?

2. nothing!?

3. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    I have no idea as far as internet. But I assume somewhere in your neighborhood you can find someone to show you south Indian rhythmic solfeggi.

I'd also get Vitti's Reading funk rhythms/Odd time and Stagnaro's latin bass book. Then Clap.Sing..Play all of them.

Then get a intelligent metronome like the Time Trainer app for a iPhone. Read up on "metronome games".

Do the work.

4. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Oct 28, 2012
    If you don't mind paying a modest price, Smart Music is fantastic for all-around practice. If you enjoy fighting with technology, I think Macgamut will listen to you. I haven't touched that godforsaken piece of code in ages, though. Other than that, it's not too hard to go the metronome route with a book or online resource of your choosing.

5. still looking! is there a single place where everything related to rhythm, meter, time, subdivisions, etc is all pieced together in one place in a order and method which is easy to understand?

6. Spala

Spala

Dec 29, 2013
    Not likely to find any sort of thing like the relative pitch course, which is essentially an aural skills cramming session. Aside from that, I hope you have a good theory and reading background to go with it, otherwise aural recognition will do you next to no good. There are plenty of books that pertain to rhythm, but you may not find them as compiled as you're hoping for. Any basic snare drum book will help you with rhythm, and some of the applications of rudiments will help you with your bass playing (there's a victor wooten video where he mentions something about rudiments and such on bass).

Best of luck.

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    For rythm ... you need to read music, it helps to sing the rythm you see on music sheet. You also need to listen to music with odd time to get it.

I don't think the internet will help you with that. A music teacher would be a big help it that.

8. I read some music everyday. Some if it specifically for syncopated 16th notes. Do some internal time and odd time exercises but there is no real structure or a long term plan to it. Its pretty random, do this today do that tomorrow approach am sure there is a better more organised plan out there!!

9. Spala

Spala

Dec 29, 2013
    There are plenty of ways to learn rhythm, but with all due respect, you won't find a "learn rhythm fast!" system that will actually net you results.

My recommendation is the same as before, find a basic snare drum book and start there. There will be a level of translation you must do because of the differences in instrumentation, but I can promise you the results are worth it.

As far as time signatures are concerned, there's no huge need to learn odd times that are rarely, if ever used. Keep your learning scope practical and you'll get what you need done - you aren't likely to ever see a chart written in 25/128.

10. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    no sure but you can come accross a few bars in 4/4 then one bar in 11/8 then it continues in 5/4.

the important part is being able to hear the strong beat and count it then I think that being able to sing the rythm with a metronome help ...

But it is true that the OP won't find any "learn rythm fast" it just takes time.

As for swung 16th ... you can find that in R&B and Hip Hop a lot.

11. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    I don't know of any course, however there could well be one.

There's really a limited combination of rhythms. I guess there are unlimited rhythmic possibilities, but even if you're playing some crazy 11/8 syncopated thing it's going to be built from the same basic rhythms.

Take 8th notes in 4/4. Once you learn to identify basic rhythms it's easy. Two 8th's together, quarter and two 8ths, dotted quarter 8th, an offset quarter note (the 'and' of beat two tied to the downbeat of beat three). There might be more but hopefully you get the idea.

The way I learned to do this was by lifting tunes and playing along with the recordings. But not just lifting them mindlessly, actually thinking about what I was hearing and counting out the rhythms.

12. it is all easy, once you have it down! ;)
    my time is usually ok but then at times its not! i want to have rock solid time at all times! so there has to be a long term approach which has some planning in it!

13. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    check out Jeff Engle's Rhythm Exercises PDF linked in my signature.

14. nice! this is nice to go over the sight singing skills i got drilled in the ET classes! i should find something which takes it up the next notch from here! i think i know where to look now! thank u!

15. Boris62

Boris62

Nov 7, 2012
    Check out mike longo's stuff http://www.jazzbeat.com/masterclass.html
    His DVD series details what he learned from dizzy Gillespie. Mambo4 I can't see your signature can you share the link you mentioned?
    Cheers

16. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
  17. Look up Konakkol on youtube. Best way to learn and understand rhythm, period.