1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Best Rig I've ever had !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kukulkan61, Apr 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I've been playing bass for 40+ years and always had great 20180413_181659.jpg gear, mostly budget friendly stuff like Peavey, Carvin, Avatar etc. and it all suited me fine..My last two brands of gear was GK and now Mesa, may not be what some think as the total ultimate Badd ass gear but to me I consider myself blessed to have come up this far...thanks for checking it out, this was last night !!! I also have the Mpulse 600!!!

2. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Can't go wrong with Mesa!

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    So is that a Walkabout head with two Subway cabs? Cool!
    Main thing is you dig it and it works for you!

DrMole and Kukulkan61 like this.
  4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That's a nice match-up, WA with Subway cabs. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

DrMole and Kukulkan61 like this.
  5. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Yes Sir Walkabout!

lomo likes this.
  6. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    With efficient cabs like those two SW's and getting the WA operating in 4 Ohm territory, you have a set-up that is even better than the WA with old Scout cabs IMO. If you add a HPF (like a HPF-Pre Series 3) to the equation, you can even get some really serious volume with headroom out of that 300 Watt WA head.

DrMole, Stumbo and Kukulkan61 like this.
  7. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I know this is an old thread but your advice about an hpf with this set up intrigues me, would a keeley bassist limiting amplifier compressor do the same, I have one?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    No. Check here for more info: High Pass and Low Pass Filters | TalkBass.com

dabis and Kukulkan61 like this.
  9. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Stumbo said it best, sadly no...

10. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    In all the decades I’ve been playing I never used a hpf lpf, did quite fine without any added pedals was always bass to amp, I’ve just recently started experimenting with effects and I really like what the compressor does but my rigs are all great without anything!

SJan3 likes this.
  11. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My story mirror yours very closely - I'm not and have never been much of an effects user. However , a good compressor (e.g. Diamond bass compessor sounds great to me) is something I generally find apealling in terms of fattening and sustaining tone. There are a few preamp type pedals I like as well and use on occasion.

A variable HPF while able to be part of a tone shaping or voicing approach is mostly a utility piece for me. It helps with acoustically challenging rooms and tames heads that lack a good internal HPF or has one set at a point that is too low for me/my speakers.

Doufuss, Stumbo and Kukulkan61 like this.
  12. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Me too. A compressor is all I've ever used, and not always.
    Well, I do use a Sadowsky external preamp. But that's got nothing to do with HPF. I'm still not even sure what the thing does or would give me.

Kukulkan61 and Al Kraft like this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    This is what I've been toying around with for the last month! My amp does great alone, the pedals enhance it pretty nice! 20200507_152441.jpg

Al Kraft likes this.
  14. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I suspect that coming from acoustic guitar to bass I was accustomed to using technique (hand position, playing style, palm muting, etc.) to vary my tone and get different "effects". Many of those techniques and a lot of that approach just became part of my bass playing. I'm not against effects and use them when it's appropriate for the song I'm playing, but I am almost exclusively a clean palyer and mostly change things up for what I do with just my hands and by varying EQ.

DrMole and P_Robyn like this.
  15. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Very nice gear...I'll bet you can get a wide variety of sweet tones from that set-up! :thumbsup:

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  16. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I agree. And I never played guitar. But, over the years, I've learned how to control dynamics with my hands. I'll say that once I started using compression (a DBX 163 over easy compressor/limiter on my then GK 800RB), I started to lose a bit of that sensitivity as the device was carrying me.
    Today, I usually don't use compression but if I do, it's a Seymour Duncan studio bass compressor.

17. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    In terms of dynamics I agree that it's easy to lose a bit of your skill when that compressor is always there as a backstop. To me it would be like a pilot that always used auto-land features and never actually flew the aircraft themself on landings...some skills are perishable unless practiced often. On the other hand, there is some sustain and fatness that only a compressor can get for me no matter where I put my hands or how I use them. It's always a trade-off! :)

SJan3, lomo and eriky4003 like this.
  18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I am a true believer in variable high-speed filters. I have two different versions of FDeck's amazing HPF-Pre, and one built into my Acoustic Image Focus amp.

These devices enable me to tailor the low frequency response to the venue as needed; by twisting the knob clockwise, I can nibble away the lowest frequencies until it sounds good. As an added bonus, when the deepest lows trimmed to taste, my amp has to do less work AND there's a lot less risk of overdriving a loudspeaker to the point of damage.

Try one and you'll become a believer, too! :)

Sands and agedhorse like this.
  19. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Hi @SJan3 ! The HPF will give you more headroom eliminating the sublows you're not hearing and maybe are mudding your tone, and gives for sure more live to your speakers. Maybe you have read some long posts here where people discuss this. But, if you're going ampless don't worry about that, probably the soundguy is hi-passing you already.

SJan3 likes this.
  20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Nice rig....I am a long time Walkabout lover.......for me it's best with a lot of cone area.....3X12 was perfect, but now I have 2 SW 115s under it and the rig is the best sounding I have played....BUT it's even better with an HPF (I use the Broughton with my Walkabout)......more clean (ish) headroom!

Sands and Kukulkan61 like this.