The best rosin?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Davidoc, Oct 15, 2003.

1. What's the best rosin you can buy on the internet?
  2. heh... that's like asking "what's the best car in the world". It totally depends on things like: What style of bow do you play, what kind of hair do you have on it, what kind of music do you play, what strings, what sort of climate do you live in, and best of all, personal preference. There are a bunch of good rosins that are just suited for different things. That being said, I like to use nymans in the summer and carlson in the winter. I like carlson better, (yum) but I find that it gets a little gooey in the summer months.
  3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    The best rosin down here is usually Pops, but you will need to give all of them (Pops, Nymans, Carlson's, Kolstein Whatever Weather, Petz, etc.) a thorough workout with the bow and bass to understand why your conclusion is the same or different.

Try alternating between using a lot of some kind of rosin on your bow for several days and little to none for another couple of days. Listen carefully to your tone quality and your bow placement, speed and weight on the strings. Compare the sounds with your teacher as you play whatever has been assigned to you, or try recording yourself. If you have to choose between paying for an order of different rosin cakes and a lesson at any point, go with the lesson.

I've heard rumors that the best rosin, combined with lots of practice, improves your intonation too.

Good luck,
  4. Don't even think about Petz.
    These are the only ones worth your interest.
    None is "best." There are only favorites.
    The knock on Pops is that it flakes off and you're always cleaning you bass. However, it is used by some of the best players you'll ever see.
    My favorite is the Swedish, i.e., Nyman's or Carlsson's.
  5. kickass, I just ordered some carllson's. Thanks guys! The pops just wasn't doing it for me.
  6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    My teacher told me a couple of lessons ago that I needed more rosin on my bow. For some reason, it felt good to hear that criticism...
  7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd recommend against mixing rosin. You can only really know how it's working with fresh hair. Nyman doesn't like Pops, and Pops doesn't like Nyman. I like Nyman, though.:)
  8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I use Nymans, it's quite good.
  9. I just recently got some Nymans and I`m very impressed with it. I used Carlsson`s and it is great but Nymans "is to me" less sticky. I think both are made by the same company. Good Stuff...

10. I use Nymans on my brazilwood french with
    Thomastik Dominants and it works really well . very clear . you dont need much . a little can give you a beautiful clear tone . Nymans
  11. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Nymans and Carlssons are exactly the same, according to Thomas Martin. I usually buy whatever is fresher.

I'm now using the Kolstein Duo Pack. Half moon of hard and half moon of soft. I love it.

12. I also use it with Obligatos , wonderful

*NOTE- I use very little rosin...less than most people.