Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best shows I've ever seen are the ones where the band..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jan 11, 2006.

1. goes right into the next song, no stupid banter or cheesy jokes. For example, I saw Megadeth over the summer, and Mustain said few words. Most of the songs ended, and then BAM they're rocking out to the next tune. I love it. MOre music, and banter jsut seems...unproffesional somewhat.

2. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I agree, although I do like a song title every now and then, or identifying a song as an original if the band plays mostly covers.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I work really hard to get my band to do this. Of course, in my job, you've got to talk sometime, but where we talk is pre-planned, and we rehearse the transitions into and out of tunes.

4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Four words.

The Dillinger Escape Plan

:)

5. The Ramones did this. Maybe they were first.

6. Chilli peppers do that really well where they jam out at the end of the song, the the jam builds up into the next song. As can be seen on Live At Slane Castle DVD

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001

When I saw them at reading the singer took a fair few minutes out to first chat about the crap that you would see later on the stage, then second to take a dump into a carrier bag and throw it into the crowd.

Personally I'd like to see more music and less poop.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Our band is TERRIBLE at this. There's talking, playing, you name it. I wish we'd addrerss it more.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My old bands used to do that. I wish my current one could.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can't disagree with that.

11. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I agree. When I saw Spoon this past November, they played the first six songs like that. Great show, by the way.

12. Early on they didn't though, and it was some of the best banter ever. I've seen videos of their really early CBGB's shows where they'd argue about which song to play next all the time.

Back on topic, I agree with the sentiment of having less banter as well. I've seen too many bands (hardcore, I'm looking at you) where they just go on and on about the song instead of just playing it.

13. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    We've been doing this a lot lately. Less talk more rock. Works well for us.

14. justateenpoet

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Hmmm...perhaps they like to mix it up for you British chaps?:smug:

I dunno, when I saw them in Boston a month or so ago, Greg was pretty much all go and no poop.

15. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Well there's a relief... This was a few (02/03?) years back... At I think their first big festival in the UK. I spose they wanted to make a big impression. Still, glad to see he's been toilet trained now. Well, you say he was pretty much all go and no poop. Still a little poop?

16. justateenpoet

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Nah, just kicking over a monitor and telling a kid in the pit that he wasn't funny.

17. I totally agree, my main gig has a drummer that literally never stops playing once he starts the first song until the break!! No Click track, the guy is a metronome! From fast to slow and everything in between, the way he segues into other songs is pure magic and one of the reasons he is my favorite drummer! Try going from a hard rocking 130 BPM or better to a big ballad at 80bpm without a click track and no cues other than a good drummer's timing...

Peace,

T

18. I played primarily drums for 15 years before switching to bass, and let me tell you, that AIN'T easy!

19. I totally agree for the most part-

But I saw Opeth 3 months back, and I have to tell you- it was like a metal show with a free comedy show. Mike Akerfeldt, their frontman, is literally that funny.

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I saw Van Helan on their first tour after the release of their first album and they were great.
    I saw them again at the US festival, David Lee Roth would not shut up!!!! Besides that he was drunk as a skunk. Took all the fun out of it, he thought he was cool. I thought it was embarassing.
    And he wonders why he lost his job.