The best sight reading method books

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by bassface1000, Feb 13, 2009.

1. bassface1000

bassface1000

Feb 13, 2009
    Wondered if there is a comprehensive sight reading method book series you would recomend for the serious player

thanks in advance

Nick bassface1000

2. Well, if you're looking for a book that'll teach you how to sightread, I wish you luck in finding it. Sight reading is something that can only be learned by doing it. A lot. So really any book will suffice, as long as you put some hours in it.

3. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I've been going through the Berklee Press "Reading Contemporary Electric Bass" book, by Rich Appleman. It covers quite a bit of ground.

4. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    there are so many methods out there, but the reality is that all you need to do is pick up anything around you and start reading it. Start simple and build your way up to more challenging stuff, but the basic concept of being able to read well is simply doing it all the time. Over and over and over and over and over again... until it becomes second nature.

Easy,

Janek

5. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    here is the best advice I've ever heard about sight reading.
    I did that on the piano (that was strange at first to play those really, and I mean REALLY simple pieces with only whole notes ...)
    and I begin to get my way on sight reading on the piano.
    I do the same on bass and it works great too.
    and yes, when you do it everyday, being true to yourself and your level of sight reading, knowing that it's not a contest and forgetting your pride, it works and progress are quick

here's the link:

hope this will help y'all

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021