The best sign that someone is a bad musician

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pklima, Aug 13, 2009.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    From an economist writing about a completely different subject:
    http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2009/08/the_law_of_infl.html

Is it just me, or does the above seem like you could replace "driver" with "musician" and it will make even more sense? There are certainly plenty of lousy musicians out there with absurd expectations and massive amounts of bitterness. This is why I avoid playing with any people who feel the need to tell me about how their previous band members sucked and were impossible to work with.

2. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    +1 to what you said!

Truer words have never been spoken.

3. bobknowsbass

bobknowsbass

Jul 27, 2009
    Monrovia, CA
    You'll find those guys on youtube comments with PLENTY to say about how they hate on this or that player. Some of them are even here, it seems. (Easy-E "Don't quote me boy, I ain't said sh*t)

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    +1, makes sense.

Actually, I read this some time ago: People complain about things they do themselves the most. Like, complaining about how communication in real life goes down the drain but never striking up a conversation with people themselves. You get the picture.

Argh, can't remember the name of that theory...

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Sweet! I'm a terrible bassist, and a world class musician!!

6. mr.hughes

mr.hughes

Sep 12, 2005
    Ireland
    +1 indeed.

But then what if everyone else says I'm a bad musician?!?!?!?!? ;)

7. There is a grain of truth to this. People often revile other people who remind them of themselves and their own shortcomings.

8. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Maybe that makes you "The Best (tm)!" ;-)

JM

9. I think there is a "grain" of truth in this, but just that... a grain, and it's really not a great direct correlation.

I think it's more like a whole lot of lousy musicians have a much higher opinion of their own playing/musicianship then they deserve, and treat others accordingly.

Truly good musicians can really work with almost anyone at any level of expertise, and make the less talented musician (not necessarily themselves) sound better. They may be frustrated with the lousy musician, but they can do it.

Lousy musicians can't as easily do this, and get frustrated as to why other lousy musicians can't make them sound as good as the talented musician.

10. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    For some reason I read this and the first thing that came to mind is the name "Romeo Rose" Words can not describe this guy.

11. gdawg27

gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006

+1.

12. DesertCreature

DesertCreature

May 19, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Don't agree with the piece quoted by the OP. The central issue is whether one's expectations of peers is reasonable, which usually means equitable. We all have expectations of peers whether its drivers or musicians - the difference is whether our expectations are reasonable.

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This.

14. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    This.

15. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I don't know that unrealistic expectations make for a bad musician........

I've had people accuse me of unrealistic expectations......because I wanted to correct obvious wrong notes. Or because I wanted to have the guitar players play in the same key as the singer........no joke.

I don't know. In my experience, what I thought was achievable with a little work has often been regarded as "overly high expectations". So, I don't say much anymore.

My definition of a bad musician now is one who is one fret off and says that's close enough. (Again, no joke).

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Being a good musician is 50% ability 50% attitude

17. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    wrong, the rest of the world just sucks compared to me:D

18. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Why all the psycho-babble? I thought we were bassists??? :cool:

Let's just do our job; make the song, and everybody else, sound good, while laying back with no accolades trying to think of a nice way to tell the primadonna female singer to "shove it" when she says turn the bass down.

(Do I fit the description? :smug:)

19. Well, unrealistic expectations are pretty common with bad musicians, and a solid sign that you might have one on your hands. Most good musicians learn to lower their expectations, not expect the best song or music ever, and create a the best sound with the tools at hand, not what they expect to create.

Here's an example of good musicians using the tools at hand to produce something good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_B0dTrvv0 - while on vacation, these girls had their dad to film 'em singing. One of 'em picked up a book, the other is hitting a strainer with a scrub brush, and the final product still sounds pretty darn good with the rudimentary "tools" they had on hand.

Using a book and a scrub brush for a fairly spur of the moment mini-project, and still making it sound good makes for some good musicianship IMHO.

20. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    That girl sings okay, but really sucks playing the book.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021