The Best Stingray clone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Aug 5, 2003.

1. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Well after much deliberation I have decided that the very BEST Stingray clone I can find out there is the Dillion VBM400. Another bass player emailed me info and pics on his VBM500 (5 string) and I am really impressed with his bass.

The look is very impressive and I was pleased to find out that the hardware is high quality. This was the problem with all of the other clones I have read on or personally played.

I have ordered one for myself and it will be shipping soon.

The only problem with these is they don't have very many colors and they are extremely hard to find.

Just an opinion... but I'm very impressed with this bass and I'm getting it for under $400 new. Also, John Dillion actually answers email inquiries personally.
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    IMO, the sterling is the best ray clone.
  3. if it was an exact copy of a stingray yes. I would say the Sub is.
  4. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Sterling is an entirely different monster. I do like 'em. I assume the above quote is a joke.

Sterling bodies are slightly smaller. I do like the pickup in the Sterling a little better b/c they have some added ground or something that makes them a bit more quite but I've gotten used to the little buzz that my Ray's make.
  5. flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS

That link doesn't work for me.

No offense...I really like the looks of the OLP's but I can tell just from pics (not yours others) that at least the bridge would bug me and probably all the hardware.
  6. webshots is down for somereason right now