Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the best strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Arnaud, May 8, 2002.

1. Arnaud

Arnaud

May 1, 2002
    I m french and my english in not very good so don't laugh at me !!!
    I want to know which strings are the best for you and which are good for a long time????
    [​IMG]

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Asking which string is best is like asking which ice cream is best. You'll get lots of opinions, but nothing will really help you.

There are many different strings out there made from different materials, with different processes, under different conditions.

All this effects the sound.

Depending on what you play, how you play, the bass itself, etc. Your wants and needs are going to vary.

As to which last the longest, there is no answer there either.

Most all won't break unless you are a really aggressive player, so how long they last completely depends on what kind of tone you are looking for.

Chas

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I agree with Chasarms, however, I highly recommend Everly B-52 Rockers if you like a bright roundwound. They're not expensive and are the best strings I've used on my five string. I don't mind spending extra for better strings, but these strings are totally IT for this bass.

Also, if you fill out your profile, especially the equipment part and what sort of music you like and play, maybe you could get some meaningful general recommendations. String selection is a highly individual thing.

4. This thread has been done... but hey its always fun. Here's my reviews on strings. First I play really hard, to explain all those string breakages.

Dean Markley Blue Steels: Good, but the bright sound tends to go out after a week. After that it keeps the tone you have there for a while.

GHS Boomers: Every set I've used sounded bad, and didn't last.

EB Slinky's: Sound wasn't bad, but I've had them break on me too many times.

D'addario XL's: The sound wasn't good, and they broke as well.

Elixir's: Supposed to be the best.... well mine coating has worn off almost (they are currently on my bass and have been for about one month). The sound was good for about two weeks and then the sound just got weird (I dunno how to explain it, it was just different and I really don't like it).

Fender Superbass: Just bad.... really bad.

Fender 9050 Flats: I really liked these strings, but flats have their own tone, and aren't for everyone.