The best thing about tiny rigs is....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jun 17, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That you can have multiple options without taking up all the room in the house!:D

With the Walkabout, Portabass, and the Fishman Pro Platinum, I have quite a few tone options. I'd like to pick up an EA iAmp350 at some point in the future to add the ultra clean option to the plate, as well (although the Walkabout can get an amazingly crisp clean tone...).

Ideally, I'd have 3-4 single speaker cabs to go with them, ranging from ultra HiFi to thick, meaty goodness.

How much fun is it to mix and match--Bergantino with Ampeg, iAmp with Aggie....

I'm lucky enough to play in two different groups with musicians who understand you don't have to make yourself deaf to make yourself heard so I can actually hear the differences in a band setting. At a certain point, all you hear is LOUD, and any color is lost. Of course, the tiny rigs will get surprisingly loud, too--best of both worlds!

Sorry for the long post, but I just love my tiny rigs!

OH, and a tip if you've managed to read this far--I wish I had thought of this before I bought my Walkabout bag for $60. I noticed the XBox carry case is the perfect size for the Walkabout/Portabass/iAmp/Traveler/etc size heads, and it's only $30, and readily available at your local Corporate Giant/Mom-n-Pop Mart-type-shops.
  2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Bassmonkeeee,

Thanks for the tip. I don't know if we have those bags up here, but I'll have a look.

I've been renting a Walkabout for a while now, and I am seriously digging it! It really sounds warm and full, and I never have to turn it up past "2". I tracked a CD the other day using the effects send into a DI, and I got a warm tube compression that sounded perfect for the tunes.

3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

how would you describe the sound of the GS112 and the CXL110?? I have two cxl110's and actually have been thinking of getting at least one 12" cab, maybe the GS112 since I've heard so many people raving about them. How does it compare to the SWR Bass Monitor 12? I thought the SWR was too mid rangy and I kept getting feedback from the tweeters at higher volumes when walking near the stack (yes, I stacked two of them :eek: )

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree with the flexibility and multiple option thing. While I do also own a Walkabout, last weekend I used some of my EA cabs with my Epifani's. Pictured are:

Raven Labs MDB-1
    Shure ULXS
    Eden Navigator
    QSC PLX 3002
    EA VL-210
    two VL-208's
    Epifani T-110UL and
    Epi T-112.

Not pictured:

Mesa Boogie Walkabout
    Stewart UDP-1a
    BBE 383
    third VL-208
    second VL-210
    Mesa Boogie 4x10 Diesel
    Eden 212XLT
    Ashdown Mini 10T
    Various Peavey cabs.

5. Tom,
    What's for desert? :D
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Usually a couple of shots and uncounted "mystery beers"...