1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The best things about having kids......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Oct 14, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My daughters crack me up every single day. They are 4 and almost 2. Not only do they keep me grounded, but they keep me from taking things too seriously. They are goofs (like their dad). When I go to pick them up at daycare, I feel like I grow a foot every time one of them runs towards me arms out yelling "DADDY!"

I have grown to love simple things like grilled cheese sandwiches, picking flowers, and even episodes of Bubble Guppies. I will miss all of those things sorely when they are gone.

I love how they mispronounce words.

Their laughs take away every bad thought I had all day.

That last hug of the day and "I love you Daddy" just makes everything I do worth it.

I know I'm rambling, but it's my favorite subject and so many thoughts just jump into my head.

Tell me something awesome about your kid(s).

991a9be5-c0e4-4169-91b1-1d050a8dccbf.

BassChuck likes this.
  2. My kids are 16 (daughter) and 12 (son). At this point it's kinda funny seeing them do stupid crap I used to do and hopefully learning from their mistakes sooner than I did. I was way worse than both of them, but my daughter snuck out and got caught by the cops at 3:30AM not too long ago. I've caught my son cussing to his friends & I had to shut off his facebook account for similar reasons. It's the kind of stuff that makes you laugh, but you have to be a butthole about it so they learn when and when not to do stuff. It's also fun to intimidate my daughter's boyfriends.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Awww... I'll bet they're bright kids, and lots of fun!

My kids keep teaching me that my way isn't the only way. I mean, there are certainly things that aren't negotiable, but in terms of how they think, learn, what interests they pursue, etc.

4. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    On Friday I picked up my nephew from kindergarten. He say me and yelled, "Uncle Kenny!!" then ran up and gave me a hug. Then I put him on my shoulders and paraded him around his friends. He kept telling his friends, "This is my uncle." The other kids looked like they were jealous they were not getting a shoulder ride from their uncle.

When we got home my other nephew (in 2nd grade) was already there. The kindergartener told his brother about the shoulder ride, in which his brother replied, "Isn't Uncle Kenny awesome?"

Stuff like that puts me in a good mood the rest of the day.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Long before I was a dad, I was an uncle. That is one of the best jobs EVER! Take them somewhere cool, have a blast, fill them full of sugar and caffeine, and take 'em back to your sibling's place and RUN!

I even got mine a set of drums. And then just about the time I thought it was bedtime around my brother's place, I would call and say "Hey, how 'bout play your uncle some DRUMS!"

Good times.

6. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

This is all the enlightenment required.

You're a good Daddy.

And I promise they (your little girls) won't forget it.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I joined TB, my daughter was 2 years old. I remember all those things of which you speak. Now she's 15½. Report back here in 10 years.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Those 2 girls are real lookers..watch out :D

Without allot of details I have two daughters from a first marriage. Allot of the past is fuzzy now due to them being in their 20's and their mother rasing them from their teens for the most part.

I was lucky thou and got a second chance with my 2nd wife. We have a 9 yr old Daughter together.... She is my rock ...my heart.

She is so funny and some of things she does cracks me up. She so called hurt her foot in her Softball Championship this past weekend and is a drama queen about it. She runs and walks normal when we are not looking but limps around when we are there.

She played on an undefeated team this fall who also won their championship this weekend . Her team was 13-0 and she was a big part of that.so proud of her.

Last year (her first) she struck out all year. This year really on her own she became one of the best hitters on the team with power. Kid's amaze you and help me stay grounded and to look at life in a new way sometimes. Seeing her losing some of her innocence kills me but it s part of growing up.

The hugs and I love you daddy is just the best I 100% agree.

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Having kids was the best thing I have ever done in my life. I have 3 boys - 8, 15 and 19.
    The oldest is in college majoring in Physics, the middle is an honors student and the youngest is also kicking butt in school. All have music ability (drums, guitar and bass - how convenient. :))

I've loved every second of bedtime stories, wrestling, playing football, looking for constellations, having bonfires... just seeing the wonder in their faces over everything and so on. But honestly the hardest part of it all for me personally is adjusting to the "letting go" phase... I'm going through that now with the oldest and middle son to a lesser extent. Trust me, they grow up way too fast!
    One day you're absolutely inseparable, the next, your teen would rather hang with friends then dad.. :(
    Still very very proud of them all though!

10. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy The sea refuses no river.

Mar 5, 2005
    NJ
    Adorable girls, two fingers. Here is a handy guide you will need to reference in the future. :D

10 Rules for Dating My Daughter

Rule One:
    If you pull into my driveway and honk you’d better be delivering a package, because you’re sure not picking anything up.
    Rule Two:
    You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter’s body, I will remove them.
    Rule Three:
    I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don’t take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots.
    Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants three sizes too small, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your ass.
    Rule Four:
    I’m sure you’ve been told that in today’s world, sex without utilizing a “barrier method” of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate: When it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.
    Rule Five:
    It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is “early.”
    Rule Six:
    I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.
    Rule Seven:
    As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don’t you do something useful, like change the oil in my car and rotate the tires?
    Rule Eight:
    The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka – zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.
    Rule Nine:
    Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, all-seeing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not screw with me.
    Rule Ten:
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a helo coming in over a Wadi near Baghdad. When my Gulf War Syndrome starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car – there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.

11. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    Good looking kids. I like the above 10 rules for dating my daughter. I have one that will make him think. When a boy comes to the house to get your daughter, take three 12 gauge shotgun shells and gently throw them his direction, while explaining that they move much faster after ten o'clock.

12. My wife & I have two twin boys, aged 12 days. They are sleeping on my chest as I type this.

They are hellions at night - screaming like banshees. They are awesome.

13. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Too cool! congrats!

14. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Great thread, thanks Two Fingers. Grandparenting takes things to a whole new level. I spent three days with my grandson last weekend. I can take the time to devote my full attention to him and put everythigng else on hold. When I was a father I couldn't do that.
    We are very close in a different way than I was with my own son.

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Man, I needed this today. I'm feeling so much despair. I was dropping of my almost 4 year old girl at school, and reached my hand back in the car, and she smiled and grabbed it and kissed it and told me she loves me. I turned away and choked up. Life is very difficult sometimes. :(

16. Chebass88, I have 3 boys. Including 12 year old twins. They amaze me to no end and have since they were born. You hear a lot about the bond twins have, I'm here to tell you, it's incredible. Since birth, they just communicate on a whole different level with each other.

I also have a 3 year old. Like others have posted, they all remind me not to take life too serious. I love having conversations with the youngest. He says the craziest things. Some things to remember:
    Lions, alligators and various other animals are apparently living in many rooms of the house.
    You can catch birds in flight, if you're wearing a parachute
    The power rangers would totally beat up the ninja turtles

And, in case you didn't know.... hugs come in colors, girls only give pink and purple ones...all others come from dad!

17. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes but moments like that make being a Daddy so cool..we are lucky.

18. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Here is a touching story of my Daughter I will never forget.

My Daughter now 9 takes her shower or bath nightly before bed. When she was old enough to bath herself with us running the water, checking on her etc, she likes plays in the tub till I get the signal to get her out and dry her with the towel....my job and she likes it.

A couple years ago she was in the tub so I guess she was about 6- 7 years old..she is in the tub and yell's "Daddy I'm done' This is my cue to get her out of the tub.

I don't remember what I was doing but I was busy and like really now? I was a bit frustrated by the interruption and as I picked her up out of the tub and started to dry her said "You know Daddy will not always be here to dry you off..someday you will have to do it yourself.

She looked up.... grabbed my leg hugging it tightly and burst into tears..."I know you won't" ..she said.

We both stood there hugging and I cried like a baby..I told her I was sorry ...Daddy will always be here. My wife heard this from the other room..we all three cryed.

I teared up just typing this...moments.

19. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy The sea refuses no river.

Mar 5, 2005
    NJ

Oh man.....I got misty. :crying:

20. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    The best things about having kids......grandkids.

You can spoil 'em rotten, and hand them back.

When YOUR kids call up to complain about theirs,
    there's a funny smile that all parents have reserved just for that special time.
    I know my Mom had it.......