1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the best time in bass player history is...? (factual opinion content)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass V, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    everybody has their favorite tales but when focusing in an overall grand sense it's without doubt the Summer of 1970 simply for having virtually all legendary bassists in history of any genre still alive, well, and jamming in some significant capacity ...just as rock firmly took over with Jimi/Janis/Jim/that whole Beatles scene at it's zenith and then the likes of Mountain/Grand Funk/Sabbath/Zep/Stooges/Sly et al suddenly busting out internationally and WOW just think how many bassists were spawned from that! certainly in retrospect there simply wasn't a better point in time than that 2 / 3 month window near year's end, bass players were now stars in their own right as the sky was the new limit with 5 strings still inconceivable for most, it was a major cusp in our musical lives. for those of us who lived it in real time this is of little debate, that entire post-war / boomer era can't be beat and 1970 had it all, plus, compound that with August being THE pivotal moment where bass was being Pastorized as Jaco marries Tracy and we see the face of bass is about to change dramatically and set the scene as most people relate to it today.
    I luv how it made a perfect storm microcosm which included the bass in a major capacity.
    at least that's the movie I've been watching, and it's still a great one!

Pbassmanca and Bassist4Eris like this.
  2. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    When I started in the early 90s, my uncle (who had been playing 25 years prior) always commented on the new country music. Guys like Glenn Worf, Mike Chapman, Mike Brignardello... He was like "no wonder kids get so good these days, look at what they've got to practice to". In my world that was the greatest time in bass history, the coming of age of the 5 string in Nashville.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it was probably the center of the universe for half the industry of that era and has remained a dominant force.
    in '70 it was still the wild wild West and almost lawless, everything was happening, the unexpected was expected.

Pbassmanca and JimK like this.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    My bank account has told me every era has had awesome and inspiring bassist/musicians.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What is "factual opinion content?"

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    click bait

Pbassmanca, Inara, Max Blasto and 5 others like this.
  7. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Is it a fact or opinion that the disco era song writing brought about some heavily played dance bass-lines along with the syn. Is that sorta what you mean?

StraffordMike likes this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    bootygroove has dominated the last few decades so perspective can be warped just by the age factor and where one 'got on the train'. those of us in the retirement ranks knew a vast fertile musical world which will never be replicated, 1970 was a looong time ago and by '75 the writing was on the wall.

jamro217 likes this.
  9. JES

JES Supporting Member

All the bassists the OP mentions are great. But here’s the thing: today I can hear them and many others to boot.

There are countless amazing bass players today. They have all that great history to work with plus...electronica, extreme metal, fusion, new classical, sound art, soul, funk, gospel, free improv. Then there are the canvases: six or eleven strings, odd tunings, an incredible range of affordable effects, phones with more signal processing power than parts of the Bell System in the 1970s, and on and on. Players have access to a wider range of musical influences as well, if they care to listen and explore.

A Julie Slick, Steve Lawson or Dick Lovgren could not have existed in the 1960s. Maybe Meshell N’Degocello. But she is just as great today.

Sure, that’s not pop music, but who cares? Jaco wasn’t on regular rotation on the radio either, and some very talented bass players still around, like Flea (and MeShell) have had significant radio play.

In many music scenes (though certainly not all), there are also fewer barriers to entry for women, queer and gender nonconforming musicians, as well as musicians with disabilities.

The world is a mess but there has never been a better time to pick up or listen to the bass.

10. I dunno, I think today is a pretty great time to be a bassist - what with guys like flea and royal blood. Plus, if you don't want a big tube amp that weighs more than you do, you don't need one. No shortage of gear to be had, and styles in which to etch out a groove. Want it active and extended range? Rad. Want it passive? Awesome, we've got those too. Feel like getting deep and thumpy? There's a band for that. How about deftly paying some runs with some sludgy guitarists and a hard hitting drummer? There are bands for that too.

11. I know a lot of people will hate and if you’re into different styles I totally get that. But I think nu metal was the best time for bass players in heavier styles of music. The bass dominated the mix and there was actual basslines where most modern metal bass just fattens up the guitar sound if it’s even audible in the mix.

GTHintz likes this.
  12. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Now is the best time! Since the Internet, there has been an ever-expanding easily accessible wealth of bass knowledge available worldwide, and people are just soaking it up and getting better and better. We’re getting awesomer, exponentially, as a group. Yay us! :woot:

13. This. I'm not into nostalgia, and there are tons of musicians alive today to blow your mind.

DiabolicLow B and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  14. There has been some great bass work throughout the history of recorded music (and even before that, if you include the classics). The challenge is wading through the morass of mediocrity to find it. Thank God for the internet. So much music from obscure sources and bygone eras are intact and available to enjoy. It would have cost you a fortune to hunt some of this stuff down back when it was released, if you were even aware that it existed. Music is a business, and selling for a profit is what propels it. Unfortunately, much of the great music isn't financially viable, so we end up being force fed crap by the media. I personally think the golden years of bassdom were from 1965-1975. There are, of course, notable outstanding examples outside of that timeframe, but American pop music went from doo wop and Chuck Berry to Motown, the British invasion, psychedelia, blues, fusion and everything else. By the time disco hit, the record companies had a grip on the reins and "Whoa, Nellie!" Next thing you know Peter Frampton is being marketed as a crooner. It went downhill from there. Recently, with the advent of home studios, anyone can produce their own music. This opens the door for more great music by people who the record companies didn't see as $$$. More detective work is needed to find them, but at least they have an outlet. Sorry to be long winded. Have a great day.

15. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    Let's face it; starting in the 90's the bass guitar stepped into the limelight. Now, the question is , was it due to a rising talent pool of bass players or was it a lack of talented guitarists? I see a little of both only because, although bass took center stage it seemed the level of proficiency paled in compared to the era the OP mentions. Now, before the hatefest starts, I recognize there are extremely talented players, Flea, Cummerford, the guy from Primus( wow! I'm drawing a blank!), but the overall size of the graduating class is deficient in comparison to the 70's. Or the 60's for that matter. 80's? Well........ Better just leave the past to the historians.

Artman and Bass V like this.
  16. Les Claypool.

17. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just my 2 cents but right here and right now is the best time for bass players and bass playing.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  18. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    therein lies the crux of the biscuit, I should be excited Primus is coming to town, but I'm not.

StraffordMike and jamro217 like this.
  19. Not only that, but it's a long time until Santa Claus is coming to town again, too.

20. dfoehr

dfoehr Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2006
    PHX
    When the eletric bass came out

jamro217, Chico Ruger and Bass V like this.