the best tuner for the money?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Apr 6, 2004.

1. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Like the title says, which tuner should i get for my bass guitar? Which would be the best one?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Do a search, its been done to death.

Concensus seems to be that Korg makes a great rackmount tuner, and the Boss TU-2 is a great pedal tuner.

Search, and ye shall learn.
  3. I've got both, and if I were handy enough, I'd make the TU-2 into a rack tuner like that one guy. Search for that. That was a cool thing. The TU-2 is a really handy, hardy and accurate tuner.
  4. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    If you don't gig out much I would buy a simple $15 chromatic tuner. I'm using a Korg CA 20 and it is small, cheap (batteries last forever), and fast.
  5. My preferred tuner is the Boss TU-2 which I keep hooked in line as I play. As well as making sure I stay in tune, it makes for a convenient mute switch. However, I also carry around an "Intelli Metro Tuner-IMT202" (mainly to loan to guitarists who don't think to bring their own). The Intelli is inexpensive and works well. I really like the LCD analog display. It is also a metronome that counts out the beats with an accented top of the measure beat. Also, the Intelli is easy to watch the metronome with the sweeping analog display, like watching the swinging arm of the old style mechanical metronome. The LCD analog display also centers for tuning and waves left or right if flat or sharp.
  6. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Go psycho, err...

I got a Sieko chromatic, it tunes high ass guitar and lowest note equally accurate and it lasts for at least a year on just 1 battery! GO PYSCHO! err Sieko... whatever .. buahahaha
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Don't discount this, even though it was in jest.

1) Your ear should be pitch trained. When you are out of
    tune or out of pitch, you should be able to it hear yourself
    that you are out and recognize and fix it yourself.
    I think a tuner is detrimental to that ear training and mental
    training and discipline.

2) You should be able to tune each string to the other without
    a tuner. You can only do this if you listen carefully to the pitch.
    And learn to tune using harmonics.

3) You should be able to tune on the fly. When you are out
    of tune, and you can hear it, your arm should fly out like snake
    to the tuning head, during the song, and fix it, without anyone
    but another musician noticing ... so that you are the guy who
    is always in tune.

So what's the best tuner? The brain connected to your
    ear. Exercise it and use it.

8. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Humm... I'm not sure that 'your ear' is really very helpful advice for BryLMoo at this point in the game. Probably better to learn interval recognition before spending hours listening to 440 drone on... Though harmonics are very handy to know about and easy to use.

Here is how one can tune with harmonics:
    First, verify one string is in tune. If all you have to work from is a reference pitch (a piano or a tuning fork, for instance) you might find it easier to tune while you hold down the octave npte at the 12th fret (2 dots on Fender style axes). I usually tune A.
    Now for the neat part. On the tuned string, lightly touch the string directly over the 5th fret. While that is ringing, lightly touch the next string down (towards the ground) on its 7th fret. If the 7th fret string is close to correct pitch you will hear a slight oscillation. Move the peg for that string until you can no longer distinguish between the two 'waves'. Repeat for the last 2 strings! With practice this will be faster than tuning with a cheap digital.

It might take some practice but it will come in handy!