Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best upright for $2000

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by colera, Mar 8, 2005.

1. colera

colera

Mar 8, 2005
    Hey, can anyone help me? my budget is $2000 and I wanna get the best upright for the money, if anyone has one for sale it would be good too. Any info would be great, thanks.

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Its the bass that sounds the best to your ears! Seriously, these questions come all the time. You'll hear people refer you to Bob G. He has a great reputation, but quite frankly I have never heard one of his "lower-budget" basses.

It would help if we knew where you reside so we could at least guide you to a legit shop or luthier. Unfortunately, for your question there is no easy answer.

3. Think Shen, Christopher (sometimes marketed as Kohr), Engelhardt, Eastman. I have played several basses of each of these brands (actually owned an Engelhardt for several years) and found them pretty good instruments. They all offer models around $13-1500 which will leave you with a few hundred to spend on a quality setup.

Read up on these brands in the newbie section at the top of the forum. That reading, along with playing as many of them as possible, should help you make an informed choice.

4. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    BTW - Steve K makes a great point. Whatever you decide, have enough left over in the budget for a quality set up. It is very important to the sound and playibility of the instrument.

5. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    Engelhardt makes a tuff bass that sounds fairly well with a decent set of strings. I would check out Bob G. site.

6. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Go ahead and take this as a "do what I did" response, but I got my hybrid Christopher from a real luthier for $1,950 + tax and he included the set up. I still haven't heard anything better in the same price range.

That being said, play everything you can get your hands on and don't be in a hurry.

Good luck . . .

7. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
  8. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    Thank for posting this site. I will also be in the market for a better bass. My em-1 is good, but I wont be happy ontill I have a bass for every mood swing I might have (5 to 6 Or 7).

left handed lug nuts.

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Got a ply Eberle for around $900 then dropped more cash for set-up and pick-up. I still came in under $2000. Been very happy with the bass.

-Matt

10. Upton bass laminated 1500$
    +bow +bag +adjustable bridge +pickup

It is a really good bass.

11. RTB72

RTB72

Mar 8, 2005
    I have a German bass that was made by Lewis and Sons out of Chicago.
    Carved w/laminate top.
    I have played it for the last 7 years and been very pleased.
    I prefer it to some of the newer basses that might be in this price range. (It's pre 1950's)

Shoot me a message if you want any info.

Peace,
    RTB72

12. salm10

salm10

Apr 10, 2004
    I bought the Eberle plywood, changed the strings to Spirocore, and then gave the bass to Upton for a full setup which incuded fingerboard planing (badly needed btw), Despiau bridge with adjusters, nut dress, tail wire replacement, neck finish removal and french polish, sound post adjustment, and a general spiffing up. Very happy with the final product and less than $2000 overall.

13. I'd definitely look at Samuel Shen in that range. You might find a used hybrid for 2K. ..... if your patient enough.

Good Luck,
    Dave

14. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I own a Sam Shen Bass, and altho is was more in the 4,000 range (hand carved, maple back and sides, spuce top), I belive they make a plywood, and if I can recall, I belive I played one at the Cinci Bass Cellar in Cinci, Ohio. I would suggest playing a Shen before you buy. And if you can make a trip to Cincinnati, stop by the Cincinnati Bass Cellar. It's like heaven for upright players. Stop in and see Andy Stetson, hes great. I would highly recommend anyone who plays the bass to stop by there, its well worth the drive.
    *And may I further note there are some good basses being made in china right now, dont be discouraged by the name. You can save yourself a whole lotta money, just get what sounds best to you, and don't forget the setup! Thats one of the most important parts. A good setup is worth its weight in gold.
    http://www.stringbass.com

15. Farin, you get that pretty flamed Shen at Martin's up there in Akron? I played it and it was real tough between that and the sb200 I ended up with.

16. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Nope I got the sb200 from the Cinci Bass Cellar as well. I did play that bass tho. Man it sure was pretty. When it came down to it, I just liked the sb200 better. :meh: maybe i should have gotten the flammed shen from Martins heh

17. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I have to second the Upton Bass. I own one and love it.

az

18. Jimbo Jr

Jimbo Jr

Feb 8, 2005
  19. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

I'll third the Upton Bass. I had one of their hybrids and it was a fine instrument especially for the price. Their laminates are a great deal as well.

LRB