1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Best Way to Appeal to like-minded (upright) Bass Players and Jazz Musicians?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Thunderthumbs73, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I am a drummer, and I would like to play (or practice) with some like-minded musicians. I'm really looking to do some stuff like:

...basically, "late-night" 3AM jazz and ECM piano trio-type stuff... minus the fusion, bop or rock.

As an upright and electric bass player, myself, I know that in the ECM catalogue (and music like it), there are great, expressive opportunities for the bass player, aside from holding down the low end, and also that the drums are not over the top. This is good for the bass player, as that individual will not struggle to be heard over bombastic drums, and there will be plenty of sonic space for a bass player, at least in terms of how open I could leave things on the drum front.

I'm trying to figure out a way to write an ad to draw the appropriate players (bass and piano) into this kind of sound. I've done a few ads, and references to these artists or ECM in specific do not seem to work, nor does a more vague approach of musical characteristics without the label or name-dropping.

I'm not opposed to diverse kinds of music, but I believe I know my listening and playing preferences (both as a musician in general, and as a drummer, in specific), and I feel it is fair for me to try to seek out a way make that specific type of music heard which is very important to me.

As my last-ditch effort, I've thought about trying to learn/play/record some ECM songs (or ECM like originals/covers) and record the piano and bass parts, if possible at all, and then take that and my drums to some open mic-types of situations so that I'm the drummer in my "pre-recorded" trio. Hope it doesn't come to that...

Thoughts?

I really think the ECM jazz (like the links above) is very tasteful and accessable, and with the right people, playable too. I think it would go over very well for player and audience alike. Am I so far off in left field or jazz esoterica here?

What am I doing wrong? My head, interest, ability, etc... are in the right place, IMO.

Thanks very much.
    ps- in ads I never tell potential bassists that I also play bass, because I have no interest in sending any "competition" vibes... and I have no interest in any competition in actuality...

2. What you're doing wrong is placing an ad in a newspaper. The way to meet musicians is in person.

3. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Thanks for your response, but if you could be more specific in terms of meeting musicians in person? My sense of meeting people in person is that the most focused effort would be to find jazz people in jazz clubs, and that is were performances are. As a respectful listener which I wish to be, I would not want to be trying to talk over the music performed to try to do "networking" with individuals in the audience who may or may not be musicians. Of course, there is the before/after/intermissions... to try to speak with the performers.

I was thinking that the internet/paper (online) for ads is the best place as I'd be targeting musicians who are looking/browsing. I figure it's free, and it targets the right audience, or should.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I must need coffee and/or glasses .... I just read that as "in prison". :meh:

5. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    +1 :)

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    try craigslist.org in your local area, run your ad for free, get responses and follow up. Also as was mentioned before go to places where music is played which includes open mics or jam sessions and talk to people that you hear that you like and would be a fit for what you're doing.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    An ad in the paper means you get to wade through all the lame ass nuts who would bother to respond and don't meet any musicians who would never think of answering an ad like that.
    Hit the jam sessions, trade numbers with cats. You can talk on the breaks if you're too sensitive to noise issues, but I think what Dave is referring to is talking to the people you hear playing whose playing you like. Not randomly talking to other audience members to find out if they're musicians.

Two words:
    Hang
    Out

8. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    + 1 to that and everything else Ed said. The only way I've managed to make a dent in things here was to be 'on the scene' as much as I possibly could. For a couple of years....

9. Walk into any jazz club and tell the cats: " I'm holdin' ".

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    HAH!

Careful going to your car, though... :smug:

11. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Paul is batting 1000 today!!!!

12. Thanks Tiny!

13. No ****!

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Believe me, PW.... in my day, I was both "The Pied Piper".... and "The Rat"... know what I'm sayin'? :eek:

Glad we survived all that.

15. You know I know Honey, but I wonder how many other TBers know what the hell wer'e talkin' about but Mr. Fuqua and a few other select old mothers?

16. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Terse. Lucid. Vivid. On point.

PW. Golden, man.

+ + +

Thunderthumbs, I've been trying so hard to hold back but I might as well let 'er rip. In my humble opinion the best way to attract like-minded players is to line up a gig and tell them to come.

17. Hey Sam.....I missed You.

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Why am I suddenly thinking about Bradley's?

19. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Yep, been coming to that impression, myself. Unfortunately, I'm not looking to necessarily do standards in which people could just show up, but maybe that is what it has to come to. But it is hard enough to get booked with an established band, much less pretending that I have one and fake my way into booking a gig!