The best way to become good

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stingisanoldman, Aug 22, 2000.

1. Stingisanoldman

Aug 21, 2000
    What's everyone's opinion on how to become a good bassist? Experimenting with relations from fret to fret? Playing everything from every genre you hear? Lessons?

Just curious,

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome to the board, Sting.

The best way to become a good bassist is by practicing. There are plenty of older threads with info on what to practice. All you have to do is peerform a search in Technique, General instruction, and here, of course.

Will C.:cool:
  3. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH

Be open minded about all musical opportunities...listen and experience as many genres as possible...learn to read notation...

4. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Spend Alot of money on the best bass you can get. And then, spend even more money on the best amp and cabinets you can get. And then, purchase as many FX pedals you can get your hands on, expensive ones of course, because they make you sound better. And then, throw those away and purchase the best rack mount FX units, just so you can put those in the closet, so you can go back to purchasing as many of the most expensive floor pedals, again. Oh yeah, make sure you buy the most expensive cables you can get, they make you play better. After all that, sell your bass so you can purchase another more expesive one. Once you have mastered this technique, you are well on youre way to becoming an accomplished bass player. :D ;)

Well if you don't become an accomplished bass player, look at all the great gear you'll have!! :D

Actually, I'll go with what GM and Big Wheel said.
  5. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    LOL@Doug...good one
  6. LOL! I love those guys that have tons of gear and can't play it. I call them "Bass owners" Trent
  7. Yo, Stingisanoldman..
    The best way to get good is to play with other people, especially people who are better than you. Jump in and get your ass kicked. Sink or swim. You'll learn to use your ears, and you'll improve quickly.
  8. Well said. :)
    This is the approach I've always taken, and though I'm still doin' the doggie paddle, I'm never bored and always learning...
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably THE best combination to improve and really become great is to find a serious teacher, get in the habit of daily STRUCTURED, DISCIPLINED practices, maintaining an open mind and open ears and, like dave said, playing with people who are better than you, or at least ones who are1 on the same quest to be great players and are serious about it.
  10. I totally agree with this, because I know from experience it's a catch 22. By yourself, you can learn all about the bass technique through disciplined practice,and a regimented practice schedule, but you learn all about the
    MUSIC from the musicians that you interact with in a real life situation,
    and they won't ask you back if you aren't prepared to play.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What's your point, Doug? I followed your recommended procedure, and now I may suck, but I sure look good doing it.

BTW, you really need a POD.
  12. Stingisanoldman

Aug 21, 2000
    I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but whenever I play with an amp (I don't own one) and/or with a drummer, I pull out great sounding stuff I didn't even know I could do. This is sort of in line with the advice everyone has been giving me. Is this a common thing or is this just me?

13. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I hate these "best" questions. I think if there were a best way, all the best players (or best anythings for that matter) would be exactly the same…how boring.

I subscribe to keeping the pressure on by signing up for bigger and better gigs as often as energy and mental health afford, and then finding the time and resources to meet those commitments. Put yourself on the line and pull through! The old trial by fire method. The trick is not to ruin your reputation on the way to getting good...ah heck you can always move.

But overlooking that, I would say a rather expedient way is to make a pact with the Devil. It worked for Robert Johnson. He used to suck… Then one day he went down to the crossroads and came back a star. :)