Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the best way to get great feedback??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass_player_cd, Feb 12, 2002.

1. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    I am interested in different sounds bass can make and all sorts of harmonics and was wondering how to get good feedback. The only feedback i can get is on the g string on the 7th fret(and only when its a little loud with distortion or some effect.) Is there a certain setting on the amp or technique to get feedback? what all do you actually have to do? I just thought of feedback when I listened to Iron Maiden prowler. even though its guitar, I thought it would be cool to try on bass.

2. Get really close to your amp, turn up the volume, and play a high note. You should get some pretty decent feedback. Careful not to blow out your amp. ;)

3. bass_player_cd

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    thats all? cool, thanks. Also how the hell do you get a picture under your name? like when you post and some people have their picture under their name.

4. They're supporting members. They give Paul (as in Paul who runs talkbass) 20$ a year and get a picture under their names as well as access to the live chat. It helps keeping talkbass on the net.

5. bass_player_cd

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    I'm not allowed to post in the Technique forum untill I learn a non-offensive way of communicating.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    When you pay $20, you're not only getting a picture, but you're getting a freakin talkbass.com website.

If no one paid 20 bux, then this site would be gone.

7. the main reason people do it is to help keep talkbass on the net, out of the kindness of thier harts. i know this sounds rich coming from a non supporting member but the reason i don't is because my mum wont let me:rolleyes: she thinx is a stupid con.

ahh well. maby 1 day ;)

l8rz

Tom

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And you think posting a complaint about the Technique mods in bright red while you're "not allowed to post" is a step in the right direction?

Somebody better buy this boy a compass - his SOUTH appears to be residing where his NORTH should be... :rolleyes:

9. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    happy valentinesd ay to the talkbass, i like the talk bass, and thnak all those folks with 20 dollars to spend, one day, when i stop buying guitars!!!

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No, Durrl, I edited out the offensive stuff and replaced it with his red statement above.

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    See if ya can get yer hands on a Dan Electro bass. I have a Hodad and the thing feeds back like Hendrix's strat. It's pretty wild - I crank the bass, keep my amp set the way I normally do, and if I sustain any note and turn to the amp it sings like a guitar feeding back. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that it's got a semi hollow body. None of my other basses feedback at all - cept for that shrill annoying feedback if I get right on top of the amp.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    DOH!!! I'm an idiot..... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

From the sound of the original red statement, it sounded like someone got spanked and had to write their punishement on the board 50 times while everyone watched. Ah, the good old days...

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Maybe you could hand out a survey before the show?

~rimshot~

15. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    ONe of the best ways to get feedback is to gently touch your headstock onto your speaker cabinet. It makes a circuit for the sound to complete, and you will get endless feedback and sustain. You should try it. I do think it is rather important to have a distortion pedal on your bass, because regular bass feedback just ends up sounding like those people who used to drive by my apartment comlex at 3:00 in the morning listening to the most god-awful rap music I have ever heard.

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Feedback is pretty naff when I've heard it applied to bass; IME, it's the higher harmonics that feed back, rather than the low fundamental frequencies, so you experience the same type of ear-splitting howling with bass that you get with guitar, esp. with the stand-in-front-of-your-amp-with-gain-on-max trick.

17. How do you make sure you don't damage your amp and speakers (and probably your hearing)? Any way to control the feedback?

18. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    http://sustainiac.com/

Go here... they make sustainer pickups, which create onboard feedback. Pretty nifty, I'm getting one installed on The Big Ugly in the near future.

You could also try an E-Bow, but I find these really difficult to apply to bass properly.

19. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    The best way to get great feedback is to ask/make intelligent, interesting questions or statements. Thus arousing the thought process in individuals so inclined to respond.:rolleyes:

20. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    I havent managed to get that good feedback from my bass, although when i play with my lil les Paul copy, use a distortion patch that i created special on my 7O8, i get really big feedback, but it's just for kicks when I ma alone and pretending i was properly alive in the 80's