1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The best way to look like an idiot on stage

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by easyj, Apr 13, 2019.

1. I know that many of you here gig and also regularly see other bands gig.

What is the best way to look like an idiot on stage?

I only ask that we keep it light and discuss idiotic things that make us laugh, not idiotic things that genuinely offend people.

feschyn, R&B, javi_bassist and 3 others like this.
  2. A local guy swings a giant pair of panties over his head for the intro of certain songs.
    He calls the ballads panty-droppers.

BrainOfJA, Herb Daly, SWRnut and 22 others like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Oh boy! Here comes another discussion about shorts, flip-flops, t-shirts, and music stands. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Extreme guitar face is a pretty good way to look idiotic when playing bass on stage.
    Unless you're Este Haim. I saw her live and she was awesome.
    030400f81ace2ea0a94dbb942a4e0e28. este-haim. original-16564-1422450982-5.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 9:21 AM
  5. Doesn’t look any less silly when playing guitar. Absurd. Why do this? 56EF7033-3503-4B9B-985E-B07E731FFF08.

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @easyj,

Since you asked, I laughed hard when I saw a picture of myself with all that, and a mullet! :roflmao:

[​IMG]

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. I don’t see any flip flops!

8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Best?

I think I'd rather throw some flubbed notes than show up with a bad haircut.

I'd prefer to look like an idiot by mismatching my socks and then wearing sandals on top of them in lieu of shoes than to look like an idiot by cussing out a bandmate while wearing sandals and matching socks.

I'd prefer to look like an idiot for bringing a huge stack of speakers to a small show than to look like an idiot for forgetting to bring an amp.

9. I think people look like idiots when they “ham it up” while playing their instrument, as a fellow bass player seems to need to do here. He is clearly putting in too much effort for each note (you can skip to 1:05)

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well, not quite on stage but....jump up on a table to rock it out, only for the table to collapse and the bass player comes crashing down. Didn't miss a note, though!

BrainOfJA, dannnnn, SWRnut and 10 others like this.
  11. I think a lead singer reading the words off an iPad and using his finger to scroll the words is awesome.

Traps82, chuckNC, BEADG63 and 38 others like this.
  12. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Whoa! Is he playing bass or starting a stubborn lawn mower?

MarkJC8, GonePlaid, feschyn and 27 others like this.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I love that performance.

I was in a band last summer where the BL/guitarist would prance around in the audience with his wireless setup while soloing. It was insanely corny and especially cringe inducing when he didn’t have his built in harem of aging harpy women to gesticulate and swoon over his sweet “moves”. Sometimes people would just kind of stare at him blankly or move away in disgust off the dance floor, probably out of fear of being put under his magical rock and roll spell. Same guy that would tune his guitar at full volume and insist on sound checking with a full verse of Sweet Home Alabama every single time. He can’t afford to pay me what it would take to get me to gig with him again...

Traps82, craigie, BEADG63 and 32 others like this.
  14. Sadly, my band....on stage, mid-set. Names changed to protect the guilty. Bill, the keyboard player, ate some kind of brownie before the gig and was quite out of it.

Joe (talking into the mic, softly and slowly, as he would to a child): Bill, doesn’t this next song start with you playing harmonica?

Bill (nodding, head bobbing around): Oh, um, yeah.

Joe (into the mic): Don’t you think it would be a good idea to get out your harmonica then?

Bill: Oh, yeah, ok.....ok.

We really kept the crowd dancing that night.

BrainOfJA, BEADG63, badgenes and 28 others like this.
  15. Singer mis-reading the setlist and introducing the wrong song.

16. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I heard that Rivers told his band mates to jam it up because he had a bad knee or broken leg, or something along those lines.

I dig that performance too.

17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Our lead singer once announced “Welcome to Jamie’s”. He was too high to notice, even after our dagger stares, that we weren’t playing Jamie’s that night.

18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

Don't get me wrong. I love Dave Grohl and I think he is far from an idiot, but this was not one of his best moments.

19. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I sometimes gig on small stages (usually to small crowds as well but ....). It seems that at least once a night I trip over my smallish pedal board. I've never fallen, but it's hard to look cool whilst stumbling. I'm getting better and better at it though.

20. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    At one time in the band I just left, we had 6 people, 2 guitars/bass/drums/keys/singer.

Somehow when the setlist was printed and handed out, 3 different versions were on the stage. We made it through the first set fine, there were no changes there. However, we count off to start the 2nd set and started 3 different songs simultaneously. Yikes. We laughed it off and maybe that's a bonus to being in small town central WI but we either know or are friends with 2/3 of the audience so it was a joke that was discussed for some time.

Stuff happens.