Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best winter food ever:

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Egg lemon soup (AKA avgolemono). 12 ounces of orzo or egg noodles, three eggs, a lemon, and a gallon of chicken stock, and you've got enough stick-to-your-ribs nourishment to feed a family of five with ease (or a hungry college student for four meals :D ).

I figure since it's technically winter here, and it does get a pinch chilly at night (it's in the low 50s right now :D ), I might as well bust it out.

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd kill for 50's right now.

3. Have I mentioned that I'm in Los Angeles? I'm not sure if I have or not.

:smug: :smug: :smug:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I feel for you bro. I'll ride for you this weekend. It's supposed to be 62 degrees in Atlanta. :p

BTW, in LA when it drops to the 50's at night it IS chilly.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, windchill was like five below in Strongsville last night.

And the ultimate winter food is New England clam chowder, hands down. Second place goes to tomato soup.

6. You haven't had good egg lemon soup lately, obviously.

The key is to put so many noodles in it that it's more like oatmeal than actual soup.

7. Yeah, I bust out the Hudson Bay wool blanket at night these days.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You've been off the East Coast too long, young man. Those tofu-scarfing Californians have muddled your brain with their noodles and such.

The measure of how good a winter meal is determined by flipping the bowl it's in upside-down and counting the seconds before it falls out. NE clam chowder and a good, thick tomato soup will cling to that bowl a lot longer than your precious egg noodles!

I'm hungry....

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Out of curiosity, does the egg in this soup have the same qualities as what you'd find in egg drop soup -- kinda thread-like?

10. Nope. The key is to hold off on putting in the whipped egg mixture until the absolute last minute. Otherwise, you risk making it into scrambled eggs.

11. :p

Considering that I was raised in Chicago, I think I know a thing or two about cold-weather food. :smug:

If you make the egg lemon soup properly--that is, with an assload of noodles--it'll stay in the bowl pretty long when inverted.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Now THAT'S a quote worth remembering. :D There's probably a crappy garage band in northern Jersey with that very name.

13. Taco Bell + Mt. Dew(Code Red)

Thread can be closed now.

14. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Fresh walleye fried in butter with fried potato's. All cooked in the fish house out on the lake.

two days ago it was -15 with a wind that was blowing up to 45 miles per hour. Now thats cold

15. Please hand over your genitalia to the nearest Reproduction Control Board. Thank you.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

I doubt I could think of a worse choice for winter food. Get away from the Xbox!

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Somebody needs a big steaming bowl of my special Texas Chili -- now with 50% more prions!

The ultimate winter food, AFAIC, is a good smoked turkey gumbo, spiked with a little andouille sausage...

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Tortilla soup is fantastic any time of the year.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yum! BSE rules.

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

:D :D :D