The Best Year of your Life

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 3, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What year would you say was the best year of your life thus far and if you care to share what made that year so special.
  2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm seriously hoping my best years are to come.

BUT, as for the best so far, there's a couple..

My senior year in high school was a serious awakening for me. It was rough, as my parents got divorced. I was looking forward to graduation and college and getting the hell out of small-town, Washington. I had a couple of periods of total burn-out...

I also developed some strong friendships that carried me through that. A few of those friends are still in my life, but most have drifted away. Actualyl I'm looking at re-connecting with as many of them as I can. (Google past friend's names... you'd be amazed at what you can find!)

I'm torn because next year is my 10 year re-union, and there's a good chance I may not be able to make it. Part of me wants to go and be able to say "thank you" to those peopel who carried me.. even when I didn't want to be carried.

The other one is a couple years later, My sophomore year in college. I had my first long-term relationship. I was really starting to dig into my academics, but I also had several strong relationships with my roomates and friends. *L* My roomate and I set-up our room in such a way that we could stick about 20 people in there to watch TV and movies... or people could watch TV and play video games, while others slept... we had great music, great fun.. the occasional stogy out the window... It was the first time I really got to be comfortable with who I am.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll need to think on this one, and get back to you later.

4. Assuming that my perception of ever improving/deepening relationships with those around me is shared by those around me...this year.

If you want to look at it from a different angle: 1996. I had a tight knit group of friends I'd have taken a bullet for, those same friends were my band, I met my wife and I had absolutely nothing to worry about besides where the next beer was coming from. All of this is offset, however, by the year that followed when the band broke up, some good friends moved away, I realized I had put more faith in some people than they deserved, I struggled in school (thanks to what was probably considered alcoholism), a friend got cancer, and (basically) reality came calling.

Those were my Wonder Years. I'll stick with this year.

5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Pretty much from age 8-12. High School sucked. When I hear how people have such good memories of high school I just cringe. My experience was bad, 7 or 8 people I knew died, and that made for a very bleak 3 years.

I'm finishing up my last requirements for my AA degree now at a local college, and after that I'm moving abroad to teach English, probably in Europe. I can't wait for that.

Also, the last two months ruled, me and two friends backpacked through Europe. That kind of experience takes a while to digest, but it really is life defining. One of my best times ever.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This year (16). I got my first job, drivers liscense, and just bought a car.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    This year... first car... first job... doing OK with the women folk... potential band in the works.... and im a senior in HS this year.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

I was 7-years old & lived in south Philly with my mom, grandmom, & 2 uncles. A couple doors down were my aunt, another uncle(who played Jazz drums & Latin percussion), + 3 cousins. This uncle + the 2 boy cousins really helped shape/expose me to music; my uncle would routinely bring his Conga up from the cellar to jam with whoever was on The Ed Sullivan Show...I dug it, can't say the rest of the family did, though.

South Philly was so energized back then...the music was better up there, the FOOD was better up there, TV was better up there, etc.
    There were probably close to 100 kids to play with in those couple of blocks.

When my dad came back from a year-long cruise, we moved back here to SE Virginia...even at that young age, I knew life was heading towards to Suck-ville(at the time, people here didn't even know who The Beatles were). ;)
  10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm pretty sure this one's gonna be it. Got a good job, a good car, just met a great woman, and I'm getting better and better each day as a bass player and overall musician. Life is good.
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I will list few.

1993 was both saddest because i left a lot of family behind that I didn’t see for next 9 years but happy because i came to US. Most likely if I didn’t I’d be dead.

1995. I got kicked out from my school and sent to county school. Reason why it was a good year because it somehow put me on right path. I saw how many people stood up for me at that moment and I love every one of them. I also got 2 of the greatest teachers with tough job as teaching dumb kids who want to be gangsters.

2003. Decided what i will be after school (teacher) :) decided on my major (history), started to get very interested in bass:)

Hopefully 2006. Plans for 2006... go on to next level of school. Have fun camping first part of summer then go to Russia for remaining 2 months spent time with my family and do some research. With a stop over in Europe:)

In fact every year is awesome. Life is great... and i love it.
  12. I think my best year was 1995, when I was 25. It was around that time that I felt (and behaved) more mature. I had a fun job, was making enough money to support myself without needing 4 roommates, and had few commitments and responsibilities.

Not that it's been downhill since, though ;)
  13. Year 23 or 24.

I was in a great band, I was in great health, I had confidence in myself, I'd been around the world and back and I was alive. And I was rackin' some prime tail. :smug:
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    GOD YOUR OLD... you telling me you were born before 1923? that’s insane... did they make electric basses back then? How was great depression? did you do Marilyn monroe ?
  15. I said year 23 or 24.

I had a great job in the Roman army in Israel. Unfortunately a few years later I got stuck on "Crucifixion Duty" and I've been walking the earth ever since. I pray for the sweet release of death.
  16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    He played Bass Lyre for "Incontinentia Buttocks and the Golden Vomitariums". They were all the rage in Ephesus!! Their lead singer allegedly was an ousted vestial virgin...

Then there was the Corinthian Tour than ended things and Golden Boy was stuck back in Cesaeria working for the Governor

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

18. Last year when I got my Fender :D
  19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    This year I started my shore tour (after three 6 month deployments in a row) so I am catching up with family time.

I picked up playing music again.

Ran a marathon in under four hours (not bad for 39)

Started working on a Master's of Science degree (just 10 more classes :hyper: )

Rode my fave downhill trail in San Diego without putting my foot down for balance. :D

I am learning to box as well.