Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Big Bass Amp DECISION

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Jan 20, 2004.

1. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Ok so ive got it down to two choices between which bass amp I should purchase. Im done my research and my final two are the Mesa Boogie 400+, or a Ampeg SVT-4 head. Ampeg is a more reliable name in the bass industry but ive read much better reviews and heard much better things about the 400+. I want a deep but dirty sound. I play heavy rock/hardcore (melodic) kind of like poison the well you could say. I want a deep full bass sound but have the overdrive in there also. I tried my friends ampeg classic and it was way too muddy with no depth. So what should it be?

Also after picking a head, which cab(s) should I purchas? I was thinking maybe a 6x10 or a 4x10 connected to a 2x10 cab. Which brand? etc. thanks

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A muddy SVT-CL? :eek: Maybe he needs new tubes.

How about looking at the SVT-2? I think that has an overdrive channel. But whatever your decision is, make sure it's all tube! :bassist:

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Based on your ideas, I would stick with the 400+.

I would purchase a 410 and 210 if possible rather than the 610. It just gives you more flexibility.

4. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    thanks guys. What brand should I look for in cabs for a good deep and reliable sound?

5. I play pretty much the same stuff, melodic hardcore and metalcore. Band such as PTW, Misery Signals, 7angels 7plagues, fordirelifesake, Converge, Alexisonfire, and With Honor are some of the bands i listen to, and define the style i play.

I was faced with basically the same decision, and ended up with the 400+. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say the Ampeg is more reliable just because it's made by Ampeg, and is a hybrid. Really, I'd say the Mesa is more reliable... there are many owners i know of who've had no problems in over 20 years of owning one. The sound is exceptional, and you get that crunch from an all tube amp that you can't get from the Ampeg. Sure, some new tubes will gost you a bit, but overall, I'm ALL for the Mesa. If you really need the power of the Ampeg SVT-4 at 1200+ watts, you might as wel just get a seperate preamp and poweramp. Still... when i saw PTW a few months ago on tour with AFI, the opening band used a 400+, and the AFI abssist used 2 Ampeg SVT 2's. I can't imagine a situation where one would need 1200 watts of solidstate power, unless your in AFI, as their bassist basically used that (2x300W tube = approx. 1200W ss) Unless your playing stadiums like them, i just don't see the point when you can get better tone from an all tube amp :D I didn't notice what PTW's basist was using, i was much to busy "bringing the mosh", "throwing it down", "tearing it up" and "Hardcore Dancing"

My 400+ cuts through well, and i've had no reliability issues thusfar.

Hope this helps.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

7. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
  8. I'm playin out of a BagEnd Q10BX-D. sounds like butter, if sound can sound like butter.