1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Big Four of Thrash

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PeaceSells775, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Metallica

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Megadeth

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Slayer

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  4. Anthrax

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeaceSells775

PeaceSells775 Guest

Sep 17, 2007
    I'm a big thrash metal guy, it's not all I listen to but I really love the genre. So, in your opinion which is your favorite of the four main pioneers of thrash? Explain why which one is your favorite, and keep comments positive. Don't bash on bands you don't like, it will just start a whole page of ranting how the person above them is stupid and nobody wants that.

Metallica
    * Formed: 1981, Los Angeles, CA
    * Representative Albums: "Master of Puppets," "Kill 'Em All," "Ride the Lightning"
    * Representative Songs: "For Whom the Bell Tolls," "One," "Enter Sandman"

Megadeth
    * Formed: 1983, Los Angeles, CA
    * Representative Albums: "Rust in Peace," "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?," "Countdown to Extinction"
    * Representative Songs: "Symphony of Destruction," "Peace Sells," "Hangar 18"

Slayer
    * Formed: 1982, Huntington Beach, CA
    * Representative Albums: "Reign in Blood," "Seasons in the Abyss," "South of Heaven"
    * Representative Songs: "Angel of Death," "Raining Blood," "South of Heaven"

Anthrax
    * Formed: 1981, New York, NY
    * Representative Albums: "Among the Living," "Return of the Killer A's: The Best of Anthrax," "Spreading the Disease"
    * Representative Songs: "Caught in a Mosh," "Antisocial," "Bring the Noise"

Btw, THIS IS NOT A METALLICA VS. MEGADETH THREAD!!!!!

2. It's kind of funny that I really don't listen to or like "thrash" but I do like listening to Metallica.

One of my favorites is Holier Than Thou which hits that rarified air of a song that rocks out and is [bible] doctrinally sound. :D

3. Metallica - first 3 albums and the new one are good for me.

Megadeth - Dave's the man! The new CD is killer!

Slayer - no thanks - never did anything for me. Although South of Heaven is a monster of a song.

Anthrax - cool band. A lot of really good songs but just never quite seemed to push their career completely over the top compared to the other bands. Still like them.

4. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    Metallica and Megadeth are the only thrash metal bands that I listen to. I would have to say that Megadeth is better mainly beacuse after Burtons death Metallica has been up and running only beacuse of money. Dave has been doing his "thing" regardeless of money. But still Metallica's first three albums kick the **** out of Megadeth, but when we look the whole careers Megadeth is better. :bag:

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Metallica put out the best material overall. If Dave was still in Metallica, what writing skills that band would have. I always looked at Megadeth at one step behind Metallica in everything they did. Until The System Has FAiled. That album was tons better than St Anger.

6. gavnel

gavnel

Sep 22, 2009
    Lincoln Nebraska
    I got to go with Metallica for #1 Master of Puppets is so bad ass. Megadeth makes some amazing music tho

7. I voted Megadeth, and love the early stuff like "So Far ... So Good ... So What" or "Rust" or "Peace"

I only classify Anthrax as Thrash - the other three are Speed Metal

8. PeaceSells775

PeaceSells775 Guest

Sep 17, 2007
    I guess I couldn't agree considering that all of these bands have been known as thrash for decades. They would all consider themselves thrash, or at least at one point in their career.

9. German Thrash > American Thrash

I'd rather listen to Sodom and Kreator over any of those bands any day... even in the US i'd rather listen to Exodus, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, Dark Angel, Sacred Reich, Testament... even Forced Entry!

Anyways, i'll just say that the first 3 'Tallica albums i like as a whole more than the others. I never liked Anthrax... I respect Megadeath and Slayer at least for staying pretty true for the last 20+ years.

aaaand a joke...

Q: Why is Slayer so buff?

A: Because they lift HELLA WEIGHTS!!!

10. I did not see a carrots option, nor none of the above so I chose the next best. Anthrax.

11. I'm kind of in with Din, but of the four I choose Slayer, just because they've been doing it relentlessly without all of the willy-wonka BS that Metallica and Megadeth went through in the last 10 years, and I can honestly listen to anything they've released and like it (can't say the same for the Load ~ St. Anger era, or Dave's divorce records).

Anthrax always kind of eludes me. While they're a great legacy story, and most of their stuff is pretty good, they've never had a "breakthrough" record or single that suited my tastes. I really wanted to like the John Bush era-stuff, but it never came through for me.

My dark horse choices would probably be early Suicidal, Testament, Destruction, and of course, Venom.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Anthrax - Always a good listen.