1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The big guv'nor mystery

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by uly_, Apr 1, 2006.

1. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    First of all: I DO know that there's waaaaaayy too many threads about x-ratm bassist Mr. Commerford and I am, for one, done with trying to copy his tone - without luck! :)

However I was just wondering how he did get that sound out of his old Guv'Nor on the Evil Empire album? I've got a guv'nor (old one) myself and I can't get anything but screaming, high-gain fuzz-alike out of it.

I also know that The Great, *Great* Mystery Man (tim c) runs two rigs; one clean and one for the OD and I've also tried that w/ my guv'nor, but that dosn't obviously get rid of that fuzzyness.

You think he modded it? Or maybe placed an EQ before/after it? Or is it my guv'nor that's not working proberly?

Feeling ashamed of posting another thread about this guy, but oh well :)

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I don't know anything about this matter, but could it be he just said he used one, but didn't? 'Cause of endorsement of whatever...

3. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hmm, yea it could be. But Tom Morello also said that in an interview where he was asked about Tims tone on Evil Empire.

Also, in some of the live movies you can clearly see the guv'nor on his pedal board. :eyebrow:

4. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    i thought he only used the guvnor on the first album, then a custom build on the other albums

5. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Oh.. yea I just did a little more research and you're right. The article I read says that he used the guvnor on the first album. But I can't really hear any guv'nor sound on that album to be honest :) - that just sounds like a musicman to my ears, but I might be wrong.

Ah well, guess the tone I'm talking about comes from his custom built pedal then hehe.

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Just out of curiosity. Are you speaking of the "grind" that he is getting. Seems like I was getting very close when I had my Hartke 4000, Ibanez Phat Head, Boss Chourus set up.

7. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    You've got to remember the amount of studio engineering that will have gone into his sound will have been massive, hence why he doesn't sound as sharp and out of the box live as opposed to on C.D.

8. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Yup, you're right on this one :) Makes even harder to copy his tone if that's what you want to do.

I'm speaking of the grind/growl he has on Evil Empire, yes - it's a great tone to my ears.

But I'm not really looking to copy his sound.. been there done that :) my rig is simplyfied now and I'm satisfied with that. But I was just curious if the EE tone was his Guv'Nor - that's all :smug:

9. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    the eveil empire tone is his best especially on the intro to tire me (track 6 i think). I know that the custom pedal is built from an old wah pedal, but thats it.

10. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    the guv'nor tone is best hearable on Ratm track bombtrack that is the guv'nor tone to me

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Gain - 3'oclock +
    Bass - Cranked
    Mids - 1'oclock
    Treble - 3'oclock

That should get you there.

12. Timmy DEFINITELY used a musicman on evil empire, but switched to fender jazz basses after that...he didnt start using more than 1 amp until later on...he had the guvnor in his main signal line

13. Ha, nope. Tim used a Jazz on Evil. Theres even a picture of him playing it in the EE booklet...

14. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    yes, to me tis MM in the RATM album, and then jazz bass after for the rest it seems he is still using the guv'nor for EE
    the multi ampli sistem only comes in battle of LA

15. a punch factory infront of it will help.

16. I swore I saw him w/ a MM in that booklet...i have long since lost the booklet, so i could be mistaken...

17. +1

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I also heard he used a Rickenbacker on one song on Evil Empire. I've yet to see a picture (i'm dying to see one.)

19. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I've modded Mine and I really stard envoying it more and more!!!

I've changed the caps in the eq to have a more bass voiced OD plus I added a clean boost in front of it (built inside the pedal)
    I'ts now more than a bassdrive on steroids!

20. MastaBassist10

MastaBassist10

Mar 9, 2006
    He also uses an EQ pedal and a compressor. Which song on Evil Empire. On some songs (the verse to Roll Right, Year of tha Boomerang) he uses an overdrive, but on others (Bulls on Parade) he actully uses his distortion.