1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Big MeeeTTTaaaL bass debate.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireArm, Sep 15, 2008.

1. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Ok heres the £1,099 question (or maybe the £699 question depending on how you look at it)

Recently i posted a topic on which bass would give me the best "growl" for cutting through while playing heavy metal

I was first interested in the Fernandes Tremor 4 Deluxe

(heres a little video of the tremor 4 in action)

(obviously it sounds great with Mr. Friedland playing it)

I can get one of these for £699 hard case included - i'd be very happy with it...

But...

Lots of people also spoke highly of the MusicMan stingray (so like an idiot i played one and fell in love with the feel and growly tone) I can get hold of one of those for £1,099 hard case included ofcourse...

I could go and buy the stingray today and never look back... but i'd always have that "what if" question on my mind... the stingray is a solid bass with a big fat tone to boot - but it costs over a grand... the fernandes is more of a "comfortable" price but will i be disappointed? The fernandes isnt widley available in the UK at the minute and i'll have to put in on special order... so i cant "try before i buy"

What do we think of this then?

2. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    Stingray

You can always order that other one later, or maybe buy used.

But if you buy a new ray, you will always have it and you will be the original owner and the money won't be an issue after you get to enjoy the "years of service" your gonna get outta that thing!

Stingray

3. i second the stingray great basses

4. Well Stingrays aren't going anywhere. As good as they are, that just means they're going to be in production for a long time. If the Tremor 4 is something you'd be happy with and it is as hard to find as you say, I'd go with that. Worse case scenario, you don't like it and sell it for very close to what you paid for it.

5. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Just buy a Stingray, and then buy me one too, I am in the UK as well :D

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Get the Stingray bro. They are so sexy! :D

DSCF0140.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Can't go wrong there mate, Stingray's, of course are a classic, but that Tremor sounds fantastic in the vid.

8. CBAnaesthesia

CBAnaesthesia

Jun 2, 2005
    If you like the Ray that much, you should try out an Ibanez ATK. They're a lot cheaper and I like mine more than the Stingrays I tried when I was looking for a new bass, both in terms of feel and sound.

9. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Considering the fretboard length, price, the double single coil setup (which adds a wider sound than StingRays often do, you mentioned before that your former bass filled up your bands sound)and weight, I would definitely opt for the Fernandes. Both basses actually sound alike, with the StingRay ofcourse having its own characteristic sound. With the money you save on buying the Fernandes you can buy a nice amp too to boot!

10. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Or... a Micheal Kelly DragonFly :bassist:

11. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Get the 'ray and you'll be happy with it. Get the cheaper bass, and next year you'll be out shopping for the ray. If you can afford it, then get the bass you WANT, and be happy with it - saves a bundle in the long run.

12. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    SVT-CL + SVT-810E + Stingray(maple fretboard preferably) = One of the best live metal bass tones I've ever heard...

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I'd say try a Warwick Streamer or a Spector NS. Much more suitable for cutting through a wall of distorted guitar without getting all clacky than the Stingray IMO.