The "Big One" that got away!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Aug 15, 2003.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Call this a "just venting" thread if you like. Tell about the "Big One" that you had the chance to buy but didn't. Or one that you sold and now wish that you hadn't. And if you could turn back the clock, you'd buy it now. This is mine.

- A Ken Smith BSR4GN. I got into a bidding war for this one on Ebay several months ago. The winning bidder beat me out with 4 seconds remaining. He ended up paying $600 more because of me. :D Then two weeks later, he offered it to me for $300 less. And still, the price was right. If only...
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Oh, yeah, there was this Eshenbaugh J5 a while back...

So what was the actual price of the Smith in the end?
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ditto... I think that it was going for a great price too!

That Smith looks like a work of art!
  4. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I was in a "bidding war" over a Conklin GT-5, and i was beaten with 10 or 15 seconds left. I stayed up half the night, and it turned out to all be a waste. I was so mad.
  5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

JR you still got your Ken Smith 5? I'm kinda thinking of buying one. Kinda want a black tiger though.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, there was a dealer i think who did that same kind of crap to me on bill dickens' first custom conklin 7. i played this bass when it was first made, it's very similar to one of mine, and i love it. the dealer bid it out from under me at the last minute - literally. really lame. :(

then again, i was high bidder on another custom conklin and a guy ended up pulling the auction and not even giving me a chance to match the offer someone else gave him. _that_ was pretty lame too. :rolleyes:
  7. man i'd love a black tiger myself. come to papa....

8. Last winter, just before tax time, I came across a listing in the Recycler for a 1985 Alembic Series 1 short-scale with small body, quilt maple top, the whole bit, for $1,500. That is _the_ dream bass. She was beautiful.
    Made arrangements with the seller, an LA cop, to buy it with my tax money, figuring I'd get about $1,800 like last year. After the W-2s came in, and I did a lot of math, I realized with some horror I owed the IRS $120 and New York State about $35. No return.
    The payroll department at my job screwed up, taking a lot less out of my checks than they were supposed to. That really hurt. Damn. There are more stories, but that one's the worst.
  9. here's the one that got away from me, it's not a bass, but hey, i'm gonna tell you anyway :p

i found them the minute they came up on ebay, 10 brand spanking new ernie bass amp heads with a buy it now of 250 pounds, now, on the off chance you can actually find one of these on this side of the pond they cost just over a grand. but me, being the sensible person that i am, decided to do a bit of research and check everything was OK before jumping in to get one. i checked it all out, went to buy one, (a matter of houres later) and they'd all been sold.

i really kicked myself over that one!

10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It wasnt an amazingly aweosme bass or anything, but i had $200 bucks laying around and there was a brand new BC Rich Platinum Series Warlock on ebay and i had the winning bid with $200 with 12 seconds left and someone outbid me for $202.50.

11. Well, I've got one that DIDN'T get away. It was just too good of a deal.

I had checked out the local GC a couple of weeks ago and they had a sale on (when don't they?). They had a Zon 4/2 for sale for $899. I thought about it for a day and asked some people here. Finally I wnt down to GC and offered $800 flat and took it home. :D

All in all, a pretty good day.
  12. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Yes! I still have it and the only way it'll ever go is when I get another Smith of a higher caliber.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Even if the price was right? ;)
  14. looking back, the only bass i actually regret selling was this one...

i sold it six months ago, but i'm still missin it today. :rolleyes:

ah, the price of gas. :eek: :D
  15. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    For me, the one that got away was a Cirrus 6-string that I got beat out on in the final seconds of an eBay auction. Went waaaay under market value. It was a couple years ago, so I don't remember the exact price, but it was @ $800.

The silver lining is it got me to look more closely at quality 6 stringers and I wound up with my Hanewinckel 6.

The one I'd most like to have back...1979 Musicman Sabre. I owned it for over 20 years before I sold it.

16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I got lucky. I got my Cirrus 6 in new condition w/case for only $725.

However, I've been looking for a Cirrus 4, and one just went by on eBay w/case for only $500. I had it on my watch list, but it was up to $500, 5 hours before auction end, so I was sure it would be bid up in the final wasn't.:(
  17. This one did not get away :D[​IMG]